The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By fq13
  • 2 Post By littledavid123
  • 2 Post By JoJer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 03:50 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Props to Kayo

I've newly returned to fly tying and am new to this board. I posted a question about good cheap sources of chenille and marabou for tying panfish and inshore salt water flies. Kayo, without knowing me from Adam's housecat, offered to send me some for free. And did he ever! I got a ton of marabou, chenille and hackle. It was an extremely generous gesture and much appreciated.

In return, I gave another member (mailed off today) a bunch of steelhead tying materials that I didn't need. One of the things I like about the fly fishing community is the generosity of its members. Folks tend to be very helpful and giving. This is true whether its with their time trying to help a newbie learn to cast, or advice on patterns or presentation, or giving away gear that they don't need with the unspoken assumption that it will be payed forward. I have been flyfishing for a number of years and have been continually amazed and pleased at how far other fly fishers will go to help a brother or sister out.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Props to Kayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I've newly returned to fly tying and am new to this board. I posted a question about good cheap sources of chenille and marabou for tying panfish and inshore salt water flies. Kayo, without knowing me from Adam's housecat, offered to send me some for free. And did he ever! I got a ton of marabou, chenille and hackle. It was an extremely generous gesture and much appreciated.

In return, I gave another member (mailed off today) a bunch of steelhead tying materials that I didn't need. One of the things I like about the fly fishing community is the generosity of its members. Folks tend to be very helpful and giving. This is true whether its with their time trying to help a newbie learn to cast, or advice on patterns or presentation, or giving away gear that they don't need with the unspoken assumption that it will be payed forward. I have been flyfishing for a number of years and have been continually amazed and pleased at how far other fly fishers will go to help a brother or sister out.

Wait til you hit 250 posts, an invite goes out to join our credit union!!!

Dave
jaybo41 and bear 007 like this.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:00 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Props to Kayo

Here's my generosity story: I was fishing a 3 wt I'd bought at a flea market on the upper end of Payette river last year. As I was casting, a vehicle approached very close to where I was standing. As he got close the rod made POP noise and my bargain 4 piece became a 6 piece. The guy stopped and offered to loan me a fly rod. Told me I could return it when I got back to town. My jaw about fell in the water! I didn't take him up on the offer, I had lots of other gear with me.
jaybo41 and littledavid123 like this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Props to Kayo

Well done Kayo I love hearing stories of PIF here on the forum.