The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Griffs Thin Head Cement

Whats up with Griffs Thin? Can't find it anywhere. I did a forum search. No results. None online. Not in catalogs. I've been away from the tying bench for awhile so I know I'm out of the loop.
If Griffs Thin is no longer available what are those that liked it now using?
Thanks.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Griffs Thin Head Cement

i heard its no longer available or hasn't been for quite a while now.

substitute plain old lacquer from the big box hardware store, loon hard as hull etc

if using a whip finish, some tyers say no head cement is required

grifs thin was one of my favorites as well followed by the old pharmacists formula/black duck head cement.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Is head cement the same as laquer, cause boy that would be a money saver? Fly fishing is funny in that the word alone, just like the word marine grade, has the magical power to quadruple the price of anything its applied to.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

I used Griff's Thin and Thick cements for a number of years. Good stuff but not magic. Thin down some Sally's if you want a cement that penetrates quickly. Or try some polyurethane varnish if you have a can on hand.

Unfortunately, I can't blend hardware store products into Pharmacist Formula. In my experience, if there ever was a magic lacquer for tying, that was it. Never got ahold of Black Duck.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audax View Post
I used Griff's Thin and Thick cements for a number of years. Good stuff but not magic. Thin down some Sally's if you want a cement that penetrates quickly. Or try some polyurethane varnish if you have a can on hand.

Unfortunately, I can't blend hardware store products into Pharmacist Formula. In my experience, if there ever was a magic lacquer for tying, that was it. Never got ahold of Black Duck.
-----------------
And Sally's is thinned with Acetone, right?

Thanks for the tip on the Polyurethane.