The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chauncey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough
Default one of my first flies - chubby chernobyl

I fish this fly a lot in the summer on Boulder creek and in RMNP so I thought I would give it a shot as one of the first flies I tied myself. Lately all I have been able to buy in teh shop are sizes 10 and 8 which can be a bit big sometimes for the trout I am going after so I wanted a size 12. It took 2 flies to get the technique down but I think this one turned out - considering that the only other flies I have tied are size 18 and 20 zebra midges.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

the only thing I really need to work on is the wings/parachute (whatever its called). One of my first ones had too much and this time around I dont think I added enough (my reference fly that I bought has just a touch more).
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: one of my first flies - chubby chernobyl

After fishing these no stop the past few weeks it's going to be hard to go back to throwing traditional dries. Love the chubby.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I have never fished such a fly but I am thinking that I should try one this week down in the secret lake.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM

chauncey will become famous soon enoughchauncey will become famous soon enough

it imitates so many things. its a great fly