The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 06:41 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice
Default I am a lucky man!

Hello all.
I am very fortunate. There is a lady whose husband passed away 11 years ago. He was an avid fly fisherman and fly tyer. My wifes grandparents are buying this ladies home and I happened to stop by one of her moving sales. I saw some fishing stuff and we got talking and then one thing led to another. I told her that I just started flyfishing and she shared some amazing stories about her and her husbands adventures, it turns out that her father was also an avid fisherman and tyer. This was about 3 months ago. I got a phone call the other day from this lady asking me if i was interested in some fly tying stuff. I told her that I was interested but that i never tyed flies before. Well when I got there i was in shock. She has 2000 hooks of various sizes and 60 containers of furs and feathers and wings. There are vises and all kinds of stuff. She told me that her late husband tyed flies for Orvis and a man named Fran Betters in Lake placid.
I bought the lot of stuff and now I am looking for someone to teach me how to tie flies. I have looked up stuff on you tube but I would like to sit down with someone who knows what they are doing. I live in Malone NY and I am willing to travel. If there is someone who has other suggestions as to how I can learn to tie flies,please let me know. Thanks.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am a lucky man!

Does sound very lucky indeed! Bet there is some great stuff in those containers. Here's a video of Fran Betters tying one of his flies, tied one myself this afternoon

I'd call some local fly shops. Many offer classes on fly tying. Perhaps some more local members will chime in as well. Personally I learned a lot from youtube as well as books on tying. Among others look for videos by Tightlinevideo, Davie McPhail, and Spirit River. They produce good quality videos and are good 'teachers' as they tie.
fysh, mcnerney, jaybo41 and 3 others like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You are indeed lucky! Check around to see if you have a fly shop locally, they usually have fly tying classes, if not they probably know other avenues. You are on the right track, if you can get someone to teach you the basics your learning curve will sky rocket. Great to be starting out with such a great quantity of materials and tying equipment. Best of luck.

Larry
jaybo41 and yonder like this.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:59 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi gzarboni,

I canít help you with a tying tutor referral. Thatís a great, history rich legacy you have there and yes you are a lucky man.

Enjoy it all, TT
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing much I can add that these gentlemen haven't already said. Usually the tying classes start up in the late fall or over the winter. In addition to fly shops, if you have a local TU chapter, they may be able to refer you to someone willing to help.

Congratulations on your purchase, it sounds like you are well stocked to start out with. Tying is addictive, fun and super enjoyable. There's a bunch of amazingly skilled tiers here who have given me plenty of inspiration. Check out the "what have you been tying" thread if you haven't done so already.
mcnerney and yonder like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Another good option is to find a FF club, ours has a monthly tying class, wish we had more but our club has gotten very small.

Rick
Old 08-16-2013, 07:22 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

A fly tying class is a good idea, but not absolutely necessary. The You-Tube videos that Williamhj mentioned are very well done. They usually provide explanations why they do specific steps, which is very helpful to a novice tyer like myself.

Also check out websites like:
Charlie's Fly Box (Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials)
and
Warm Water Fly Tyer. (Home - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean)

They provide step-by-step instruction, with pictures. Try some even before taking a class. That will undoubtedly lead to additional questions, which can be fielded by the instructor.

Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

It sounds like you had a good find & made a good purchase.
Also It's a good thing if there is someone close to get you started to show you The Basics
As mentioned there are many tutorials on The internet mainly You - Tube which is quite good Davie Mc Phail,David Crawthord and many others show how it's done & how to Tie many Patterns.
You can experiment with The simple Patterns first you might even have to re-tie a few until you get The Proportions right.
Brian.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Very lucky indeed. Congratulations for your good fortune. In the absence of a one to one tutor, I would check Dave McPhail, one of the best fly dressers I have ever seen, IMHO of course
Davie McPhail

Last edited by Eddie O'Neill; 08-16-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Thanks Guys. The video of Fran Betters was awesome. He is a legend around here. I will be taking all your advice and let you know how it is going. I will attempt my first fly this weekend and post a photo.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/