The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default "Realistic" Fly Tying!

I may be just using the wrong search criteria, but I've tried several google searches to trying to find e-tailers that specialize in selling realistic fly tying materials.

I'm interested in trying the whole "realistic" fly tying thing to see if the flies are actually more effective than traditionally tied patterns.

Do you all know of any online shops that specialize in this stuff? A couple years ago I looked into it and found several, but not now. I'm not sure why. Has the "realistic" craze died out?

Thearetically I can see how they could be more effective.

One more thing today I saw a picture that reminded me of something. It was a fly rod with a Mayfly on the cork and a supposed matching imitation. However, as on numerous other occassions I found myself thinking how in the world the fly could be considered an imitation of the real one. The colors, wing profile, and overall dimensions couldn't be further from matching at least to my eye.

I understand size, profile, and getting close to the color are all that often matter to be able to catch fish. But if we are attempting to tie an imitation isn't necessary to come close. How is it that a fly that is so far from the real effective during a hatch.

I understand how those that are imitations work that are obviously not trying to be an exact imitation, such as parachutes. However, it seems to me that those that are tied traditionally, but are supposed supposed to be more realistic would be less effective if they are that far off from matching the real insect.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Realistic" Fly Tying!

Both Casters online fly shop and J Stockard sells J:sonSweden materials and Casters also has a section of realistic materials including stuff from Andres Touceda and Spirit River. Hope that helps!
FlyBum likes this.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I will second the Casters.......Dave Hise is a great guy, with a huge selection of materials!!
FlyBum likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I have ordered from Casters and Dave is a nice guy also Montanna Fly sells some of the stuff you are looking for also try the worlds largest outfitter Cableas.
FlyBum likes this.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Tom,

Years ago I went to some extreme to tie 'realistic' patterns. These ranged from crayfish & hellgrammites to green drakes and numerous other dry and nymph patterns.

In my own experience I saw no improved catch with the labor intensive flies. It was however an adventure tying them and I wouldn't disparage anyone from making the effort.
FlyBum likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Thank for the replies everyone I appreciate the lead. I actually went to Casters earlier today, but finally went back and used the search function and found what I am looking for. I'll check the others out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Tom,

Years ago I went to some extreme to tie 'realistic' patterns. These ranged from crayfish & hellgrammites to green drakes and numerous other dry and nymph patterns.

In my own experience I saw no improved catch with the labor intensive flies. It was however an adventure tying them and I wouldn't disparage anyone from making the effort.
Hi Ard,

This is kind of what I'd expect.

Nevertheless, when fishing for very selctive fish where proper size, silouette, and color are important would'nt more a more realistic fly be less likely to spook the fish and catch more fish. Especially in gin clear water.

Secondly is it likely in light of your experience that the new "realistic" fly tying materials and tying methods would produce better results than you were able to achieve. If a fly looks like a clone of a specific stone fly wouldn't it be more effective than one that is just an artistic representation of the same.

I'm not arguing I'm trying to understand, because I tie for the sole pleasure of catching fish. The more and bigger fish I catch the more pleasure I receive. If I had a choice between catching a lot of small fish and a couple trophy fish I'll take the trophies almost every time. Therefore as long as I'm doing everything else right I want an addistional edge if I can get it.

I love the surroundings, but if it weren't for the fish I wouldn't be there.
Hardyreels likes this.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that a fly which possesses a high level of realism in appearance may in fact do the trick on some wary fish. However, if said fish are indeed super wary you will need to couple the fly with a most careful approach and presentation as well.

I found that many (not all) trout that were considered 'smart' could be had with whatever I chose to present if I made double sure that they had no clue that I was around. This meant no false casting over them and no waves when wading into position. I sometimes would dedicate a great deal of time just to observe a spot making sure the fish was present and only then begin to move into position for a cast. If I did everything right I usually at least drew a rise or strike from the target.

Real looking flies may help but don't forget an extra helping of stealth to go with.

Ard
FlyBum likes this.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've wondered if most people who tie realistics also fish them, or if they do if fishing them is the main reason they tie them? For me the appeal seemed to be the challenge of it. I've played around with it a bit but nothing like the wonders some people create. Reminds me of some of the flies Eunan ties, certainly can be fished but could also be framed. Miles above the stuff I tie.
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by williamhj; 08-20-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: correct punctuation
Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Not trying to rain on your parade FlyBum but:

"Exact imitations are often less effective than Close Imitators because the materials required to construct such anatomically correct models are seldom naturally textured to have natural movement or durability. They are amazing creations and are a wonder to frame in a shadow box."

per Dave Whitlock, "Water Entomology to Fly-Fish By", Flyfishing & Tying Journal, Winter 2013, pg. 20...

PT/TB
Hardyreels likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Administrator

As with many discussions, after having time to consider the topic I have a little more to add

One thing I have figured out for sure is that when fishing for trout, especially brown trout who have been around for 8 - 10 years is............ and this goes back to what I said earlier about observing the area to be fished and hopefully spotting the target. Find a way to present so that the fish does not have a great deal of time to study the object floating on or swimming through the water.

I spent years fishing feather wing streamers to brown trout on Pennsylvania's Spring Creek in Center County. During all that time (you can fish it year round) I developed the habit / strategy of making sure my fly landed close to the targeted lie of a fish and then................. within a second of the streamer landing I would give it about a one foot twitch. Landing close to a resting brown was step 1. This 'splat' drew the attention of the fish provided I was totally out of the picture visually to the fish. The twitch (step 2) was made based on the idea that the fish had already began to move or was focusing its vision on the spot where the fly had landed. The sudden movement of the fly accomplished 2 things, first it gave the impression of something that had caused a disturbance and was not trying to flee the area............. and secondly, it deprived the trout of a good long look at a disheveled feather wing streamer after it had been cast to the spot. A short twitch was all that was needed to slick the wings back along the body and produce that fusiform profile of a baitfish and on many occasions the brown trout would follow and strike the fly.

Long story short; if you don't let them stare at the fly like the menu in a restaurant they have to make snap decisions.
FlyBum likes this.