The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sterling woodsman
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM

sterling woodsman is on a distinguished road
Default Identify this pattern

I work for a moving company. We were moving a house and I found this in the basement. It was going to be thrown away so I took it. Any idea what this pattern is?

Click the image to open in full size.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Identify this pattern

Some sort of 'gurgler' tie, I don't have a name but a friend is catching silvers on a pink one like that right now. Good for anything that will hit a skimming popping lure on the surface.

Welcome to the forum, someone will name that for you soon I'm sure.

Ard
brucerducer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Looks like this one to me.

M's Pom Skater Steelhead Fly for Fly Fishing
brucerducer likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
ha! that's it!

So it's a steelhead fly?

I'm new to fly fishing, is there anything else I could use this for? I live in alabama now so I mostly fish for bass, with the occasional trout trip.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

bass and bluegill should have a lot of fun with it. give it a try!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-21-2013, 03:02 PM

jici is on a distinguished road

I agree, bass like this kind of flies (gurgler & co).

Old 08-21-2013, 03:23 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Only reason I knew that fly was I had found it recently while searching for foam patterns to tie for Smallmouth bass. It took me a few minutes to remember where I had seen it.

That one would make a good LM bass fly as well I'm sure. Might be a little large for some panfish, but if there are bigger ones around, like large Bluegills or Crappies, they'll eat it too!

IN all the years I've been flinging flies at bass, panfish & anything else, I've learned that labels applied to flies mean little to he fish. Some of my favorite flies for bass were intended for Steelhead & Salmon. (Intruders are wonderful for stream bass!)

Use it & let us know how you do!
brucerducer likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:47 PM

Well I haven't had any luck getting bass to take this guy. Just curious what kind of action should I put on this guy on still water?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:27 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I use Gurglers Patterns alot on still water lakes . When they have webby or hair bottoms like yours does many strikes come when it's sitting still at the top of the cast. If there is alot of frog, baitfish or large insect activity some slow popping is the trigger! Try letting it sit first you will be amazed at the hits that come from nowhere!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser