Fly tying room?

jbird

Reaction score
What does your fly tying room/corner/desk/kitchen table/box, look like?

I spent a very long time tying on the fly (pun intended ;) ) I had boxes and containers and ziplocks. I had them sourta organized for certain fisheries. Instead of having a container full of bucktail, or marabou or hooks and thread, I had a "bugger box", a "clouser box", a "stonefly box", a "comparadun box"... on and on it went. Since I was a fisheman of habbit, it worked OK. The trouble was when I wanted to experiment with a new pattern, I'd have to get out each box with the correct component that usually turned into a "miscilaneous box". All of this was rolled out onto the kitchen table, much to the dismay of my wife and the delight of my cat!:shocking: It all actually worked quite well for me.
But that was then, this is now...
When I moved to wisconsin from southern oregon, I found the winters to be a drag and I needed to find ways to stay busy. We got a house with a basement and I went to work on making my dream come true :icon_smil

Disclaimer... It never looks like this anymore... I'm kinda messy :shocking:

flytire

Reaction score
I certainly can't compete with that so I won't post a pic

My room layout suits me just fine

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice but far too organized for me, I would have all the hooks on the pegboard empty in a week and never know where I got it all from. I have seen other tying rooms set up similar and have always marveled at the focus it must have taken to build it up like this.

Very cool,

Ard

jbird

Reaction score
I have seen other tying rooms set up similar and have always marveled at the focus it must have taken to build it up like this.

Very cool,

Ard
Thanks Ard. I see youre in Alaska. You probably know what its like to be snowed in and have cabin fever? ;) This organization was a result of snow, bordom and time. I should probably take a picture of it right now so you can see how organized it is. :icon_smil

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Jbird, that's an awesome setup you have! :thumbsup:

I've been working on mine, but don't seem to ever have the time to get in there & do what I want. My tying room is also my tackle room, meaning I have everything, spinning, baitcasting, trolling, surf & fly tackle all in the one room.

Perhaps I'll get it organized someday before I leave this world! :(

Here's my hook wall. As you can see, I have some lures hanging there as well.

Most of the hooks are for bass or saltwater, and there's some I'll dress for lures there also.

I haven't even started trying to get materials hung up. The rest of the walls have lures of various types, which I'm sure no one here wants to see! :shocking:

jaybo41

Reaction score
You guys are killin me LOL. Jim that's one heckuva fine setup you have too. Looks like a tackle shop! I dig the way you strung up the lures. Very cool.

JML, that's absolutely hysterical LOL:thumbsup:

theboz

Reaction score
Jbird, that's an awesome setup you have! :thumbsup:

I've been working on mine, but don't seem to ever have the time to get in there & do what I want. My tying room is also my tackle room, meaning I have everything, spinning, baitcasting, trolling, surf & fly tackle all in the one room.

Perhaps I'll get it organized someday before I leave this world! :(

Here's my hook wall. As you can see, I have some lures hanging there as well.

Most of the hooks are for bass or saltwater, and there's some I'll dress for lures there also.

I haven't even started trying to get materials hung up. The rest of the walls have lures of various types, which I'm sure no one here wants to see! :shocking:
Great setup Jim! I like the plugs and would love to see the rest(I hang mine the same way). Any old ones? Creek Chubs, Darters ,BombersAtoms? I know Swirlchaser and Bash would like them as well. Lot of old surf rats here!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
GT, no offense, but I've got a bin full of bucktails that would fill that little space! :rolleyes:

Boz, most of my lures are not old. I have a few bass size lures I bought back in the 70's, but most have been purchased within the last 20 years or so.

I have some Creek Chubs & Bombers, Atoms, Rebels, Redfins & various other lures popular with the surf guys, but don't use them much in the surf.

Here's a few more pics to wet your curiosity! :D

Oh, and these are my spares, what I use are in many tackle boxes & bags! ;)

I'll have to take more pictures! :cool:

Spoons & some bigger size lures. There's a couple of big Creek Chub wood Pikies & Mann's Stretch lures hanging there.

Some plastics, mostly grubs, ribbontail worms, & swimbaits.

Some flukes & sluggo's & pork rind, plus some of the Snapback/Elasztec type plastics.

Various hard baits.

More hard baits.

Even more hardbaits & my book case. The lures on the book case are mostly Rat L Trap types.

jbird

Reaction score
I rarely say this, so dont take it lightly.... O-M-G!!! :D

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Some impressive setups!

Here's my little corner of the world. It had to be "presentable", is how she put it if it was going to take up one of our few precious bedroom spaces...

It was an upgrade from a tying station at the kitchen table. I had it made in PA, a standard model with a few customizations. I opted for an expandable bench (found it locally) so I can put material/tools/books down beside me and be able to snug up close to the table.

I'm designing some oak bookcases, I'll build with my father in law—trying to figure out some more storage options to work into those. Maybe plan in a rod tube or two that I'd like to keep inside versus in the garage at the rod/tackle/gear table...

It ain't fancy but it sure is nice to have a safe space to lay down rods between trips, dry out the boots, hang the waders, store the cooler, listen to some tunes, work on fly boxes and store the other tidbits for fishing and hunting....along with things my wife refuses to part with (anyone need any atm receipts from 1998?). :ranting3:

Gotta get those rod tubes on the wall soon...but been going back and forth with how to do that with the option to add more easily :eek:

gt05254

Reaction score
"GT, no offense, but I've got a bin full of bucktails that would fill that little space!"

No offense taken. bigjim, my photo was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. Regarding bins full of bucktails...so do I. Although I don't have a single spinning/casting lure.

Keep smiling,
Gary