The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Fly tying room?

What does your fly tying room/corner/desk/kitchen table/box, look like?

I spent a very long time tying on the fly (pun intended ) I had boxes and containers and ziplocks. I had them sourta organized for certain fisheries. Instead of having a container full of bucktail, or marabou or hooks and thread, I had a "bugger box", a "clouser box", a "stonefly box", a "comparadun box"... on and on it went. Since I was a fisheman of habbit, it worked OK. The trouble was when I wanted to experiment with a new pattern, I'd have to get out each box with the correct component that usually turned into a "miscilaneous box". All of this was rolled out onto the kitchen table, much to the dismay of my wife and the delight of my cat! It all actually worked quite well for me.
But that was then, this is now...
When I moved to wisconsin from southern oregon, I found the winters to be a drag and I needed to find ways to stay busy. We got a house with a basement and I went to work on making my dream come true

Disclaimer... It never looks like this anymore... I'm kinda messy

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly tying room?

That's one heckuva man cave/tying bench/small fly shop you have going there jbird! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

I certainly can't compete with that so I won't post a pic

My room layout suits me just fine

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

wow...jealous - most fly shops couldn't compete with that.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very nice but far too organized for me, I would have all the hooks on the pegboard empty in a week and never know where I got it all from. I have seen other tying rooms set up similar and have always marveled at the focus it must have taken to build it up like this.

Very cool,

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have seen other tying rooms set up similar and have always marveled at the focus it must have taken to build it up like this.

Very cool,

Ard
Thanks Ard. I see youre in Alaska. You probably know what its like to be snowed in and have cabin fever? This organization was a result of snow, bordom and time. I should probably take a picture of it right now so you can see how organized it is.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Jbird, that's an awesome setup you have!

I've been working on mine, but don't seem to ever have the time to get in there & do what I want. My tying room is also my tackle room, meaning I have everything, spinning, baitcasting, trolling, surf & fly tackle all in the one room.

Perhaps I'll get it organized someday before I leave this world!

Here's my hook wall. As you can see, I have some lures hanging there as well.

Most of the hooks are for bass or saltwater, and there's some I'll dress for lures there also.

I haven't even started trying to get materials hung up. The rest of the walls have lures of various types, which I'm sure no one here wants to see!
jaybo41 and jml43 like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:48 PM

jml43 is on a distinguished road

Very nice setup.

did the same thing with my walk in closet. I have materials pegged out. Thats were I go when my wife starts giving orders that I don't want to do.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are killin me LOL. Jim that's one heckuva fine setup you have too. Looks like a tackle shop! I dig the way you strung up the lures. Very cool.

JML, that's absolutely hysterical LOL
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thats were I go when my wife starts giving orders that I don't want to do.
My room's in the basement. My wife doesn't like spiders or cave crickets, both of which inhabit my basement, so she stays out of there.

Quote:
Looks like a tackle shop!
Jaybo, it does, doesn't it!
jaybo41 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!