The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default I know I can't be the first person to ever think of this...

but I can't find any evidence of it.

Foam Head Buggers.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default Re: I know I can't be the first person to ever think of this...

Nice

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Mud, I have no evidence either, but when I was tying commercially I tied a floating bugger similar to what you've done, except I used cork popper heads. Back then good cork bodies were still quite popular & more readily available than they are now. The heads were reversed in similar fashion, and it was a pretty good stream fly for Smallmouths. Basically, it was combining a Woolly Bugger & a Sneaky Pete, both of which are good Smallmouth flies.

Your rendition is a much nicer looking fly than I was making!

My pattern used tinsel chenille in the body, with a hackle rib & a marabou tail with a few strands of Flashabou.

I tied a deer hair bodied bugger too. It floated & was my combination of a Bugger & a Bomber fly used by the Salmon & Steelhead folks. Again, my intention was to target Smallmouths, and it worked pretty good too, but can't say it was any more productive than other patterns commonly used.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Mud, I have no evidence either, but when I was tying commercially I tied a floating bugger similar to what you've done, except I used cork popper heads. Back then good cork bodies were still quite popular & more readily available than they are now. The heads were reversed in similar fashion, and it was a pretty good stream fly for Smallmouths. Basically, it was combining a Woolly Bugger & a Sneaky Pete, both of which are good Smallmouth flies.

Your rendition is a much nicer looking fly than I was making!

My pattern used tinsel chenille in the body, with a hackle rib & a marabou tail with a few strands of Flashabou.

I tied a deer hair bodied bugger too. It floated & was my combination of a Bugger & a Bomber fly used by the Salmon & Steelhead folks. Again, my intention was to target Smallmouths, and it worked pretty good too, but can't say it was any more productive than other patterns commonly used.

I was sitting here tying up some poppers and thinking about tying some sliders when the idea of combining a slider and a bugger hit me. Once I tied it it seemed so dang logical that I went looking for pictures or tales about them, I just knew that others have done this. I see that I am correct, others have had similar ideas.

I'm a big fan of fishing foam head flies on a sinking line and I think these will work great for that with sort of a reverse jigging action. I think they will also make nice sliders for tossing into a shad boil.

Tied with larger hooks and they would make a good Mullet for redfish, they have the head shape for it.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Mudbug,

I really like those!! I think I am going to make some. But, as I was looking for foam head buggers, I found them for sale across the pond: Unlimited Flies :: Wooly Buggers & Leeches :: Wooly Buggers :: Nelson's Foam Head Wooly Bugger 6

Still, I like yours a lot better.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Mudbug,

I really like those!! I think I am going to make some. But, as I was looking for foam head buggers, I found them for sale across the pond: Unlimited Flies :: Wooly Buggers & Leeches :: Wooly Buggers :: Nelson's Foam Head Wooly Bugger 6

Still, I like yours a lot better.

And there we have it. Proof that this is not an idea that is unique to me.

Cool.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I do something kind of similar....

I tie in a 1/8" strip of 1/8' foam behind the eye and wrap over it going back, sort of working on one side of the shank, then fold it back over and run the thread and foam back up to the eye on the other side of the top of the shank. Sometimes I'll add a loosely spun deerhair head, but they tend to get chewed up pretty fast.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:12 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Yours are much nicer and I can see something more ridged makes it that much easier to paint.

The article I read was about someone using a spent shell casing, knocking out the primer and then inserting a bolt secured with a nut, and chucked in a drill. He then used this thing to take "core samples" of foam flipflops and i suppose anything else that would make a suitable body. That sounded like a good idea, but I havn't had a chance to try it. Wish I could recall where i read it.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxnichts View Post
Yours are much nicer and I can see something more ridged makes it that much easier to paint.

The article I read was about someone using a spent shell casing, knocking out the primer and then inserting a bolt secured with a nut, and chucked in a drill. He then used this thing to take "core samples" of foam flipflops and i suppose anything else that would make a suitable body. That sounded like a good idea, but I havn't had a chance to try it. Wish I could recall where i read it.

A friend of mine Does that for poppers and ant bodies.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mudbug: What a great looking pattern! I have some foam heads, I think I will tie up a few and try on the smallmouth bass pond the next time I visit my grandson.

Larry