The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 11:29 AM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road
Default changing patterns

A while back my Mom bought me the book, Universal Fly Tying Guide by Dick Stewart at a yard sale. So I decided that every evening I am going to go out and select a pattern and tie five flies. I've been doing this since Monday.

Well last night I decided to tie the Fall Favorite, and after I put my last one in the box I started to wonder why not different colors. For those who don't know, The Fall Favorite is a simple fly tied on a mustad 36890 with a tinsel body, red hackle, and a orange buck tail or calf tail wing.

So I guess my question is, Is there any point to tying a pattern in different colors? I know we all make variants because of material available or specific needs. But what about out right color changes?

I suppose my thought is, that when I fished with gear I always had for the same spinner or spoons in a variety of colors. So I am wondering if it would work the same with attractor patterns? Or do you think that the patterns in books are generally tested and proven fish catchers and it would be a waste of time and material to try.

just curious what you guys think

Meep....Meep.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:53 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: changing patterns

IMO, older patterns remain favorites because they've worked well over many years. Folks are therefore reluctant to change. However, that particular fly is of a style that is fairly basic & not unique, so if you were to experiment with colors, you would likely end up with a pattern that is already in use, or close.

Nothing wrong with experimenting, either with various colors or with alternative materials. That's likely how most flies are developed.

I recall a story about the Silver Outcast streamer being the result of an attempt to tie another pattern, and it was tied wrong. The Silver Outcast is still a pretty good pattern. Sometimes mistakes lead us to something productive too.

Sounds like you're new to tying, so following established patterns is a great way to learn the tying techniques & becoming familiar with various materials & their properties. Once you get further into it, you can then do anything you like, and will probably tie some of your own ideas that will work just fine.

Tying is not an exact science, and it's fun to try different things. Otherwise, we would all be tying & fishing a few patterns, which would be boring as heck!

BTW, the Fall Favorite is a darn good Shad fly tied in appropriate sizes & Crappies & Perch like it also!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:23 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

If the opportunity presents itself, get your hands on a copy of this older pattern book...

Click the image to open in full size.

As the title indicates. these flies were primarily designed for use in the general area in which you reside...the number of patterns is staggering... they are time tested and all work...(and, they ALL may be nuanced with updated materials and tying techniques)

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 08-31-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:18 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes an established pattern tied in a different color becomes a "hot" fly. The latest one I can think of is the Purple Haze, a parachute adams tied with a purple body.

Then came the variations on the theme like the Purple Craze.

Freakin Purple Haze Caddis

Purple Haze Wet Fly

Then there is the Royal Wulff Patriot fly, which was supposed to be better than the regular Royal Wulff, because Rainbow Trout are more sensitive to the blue end of the color spectrum.

And so it goes........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue runner View Post

So I guess my question is, Is there any point to tying a pattern in different colors? I know we all make variants because of material available or specific needs. But what about out right color changes?

I suppose my thought is, that when I fished with gear I always had for the same spinner or spoons in a variety of colors. So I am wondering if it would work the same with attractor patterns? Or do you think that the patterns in books are generally tested and proven fish catchers and it would be a waste of time and material to try.

just curious what you guys think

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-31-2013, 01:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I have the 1986 edition of "Flies of the Northwest" by Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club. If you can't find the book that planettrout suggested, it would also be a good one to get for your area. It's been in print since the 60's & has been revised several times. Lots of good & popular patterns. It's published by Frank Amato Publications, and you can likely find it online from other sellers.

AmatoBooks.com: Flies of the Northwest,<BR> Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Tying the same fly in different SIZES is more important to me than different colors.

You don't see a royal wulff tied in various colors bit you will see it tied in various sizes

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When you are the fly tier you make the rules. Some creations will be effective while some may not produce. The first fly shown below is in your book as a Feather Wing streamer, The 'Nine Three'. after many years of tying it as your book shows the pattern I continually morphed the tie until it ended up as seen in the photo. It is now my go to trout fly. It always was the choice but I believe the version here is the best. It could all be in my mind though.....

This one has no immediate relatives as far as I know, call it creativity but it too has become a good trout & char catcher.

Ard's Red Head;

Tie away and do post some photos of the work

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 PM

Ard, that's quite a morph!

Certainly not the Nine Three I'm familiar with and I don't believe I would known had you not mentioned the pattern name, but a great example of how we can change patterns to suit specific needs.

Rogue runner, please note that Ard has changed the style too, from a feather wing streamer to a spey. Same pattern, (although also perhaps a variation) different style. Nothing is written in stone that says we can't adapt as we need to.

I also hope you'll be posting some fly pics!
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 PM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road

I thank you all for the help and advice. Yes I am a new tier so I probably shouldn't muddy the water to much until I get a handle on already established patterns. I was just curious as to what others thought. I thank you also for the book recommendations, I found copies of both and will order them.

Ard, those are some awesome flies. Hopefully I'll get there some day.

Meep....Meep.