The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How Many Of You Will Be Tying This Winter?

I tie year round, too. I can always sit down and tie whatever flips my switch. I didn't get to fish much this summer. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get out much this fall either. And I have to fit fishing in between deer and ducks and quail and doves and pheasants during the fall.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 AM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

I tie year round. But during the winter months is when I really get to try out new patterns. I save the fishing months for just tying the flys I know catch fish. Focus on keeping those basics down pat. And not letting myself get rusty on those flys that are my go to standards.

Winter really gives me the chance to test my tying ability. Maybe tweak fly patterns that have started to catch less fish than the year before. Or even create a few outrageous new bass flys. Or focus on that one fly I was trying to get down in the summer but just put it on the back burner and forgot about it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Guys,

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't let any dust gather on the vise, though I do tend to kick it into high gear during northern Michigan's colder months.

And, Kelly... NICE FLIES!! If I could tie that well, I'd be posting a few of mine as well. Beautiful work...

My goal for this coming winter is to fill a few boxes with some of the old "traditional" patterns-- a lot of Catskills stuff and a few "home-grown" flies. Having sorted a large group of older ties in recent weeks-- with a rather substantial pile yet to be divided up --I've decided that I need to brush up on some of the great patterns of years past.

And, has been the case for the last 15+ years, Saturday afternoons will be spent teaching another class of "my kids"-- kids battling/surviving cancer, much the same as me...
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

I think for me fly tying never really stops. I tie if I need more flies or want different flies than already made. That doesn't mean that I tie flies every day. There can be long periods with no tying.
All of my fishing is in saltwater, so my flies are shrimp, bait fish, worm and scud patterns.
I don't look forward to the winter as far as fly fishing goes. The ice in the guides will destroy a fly line. Ice layer on the line while casting is not much fun either.
We have had some serious ice winter the last couple times and it will close the fjord completely. I really hate it. Mild winters is better.
The funny thing is that I like the cold. Biting frost is refreshing just not for fly fishing.

Kim.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

From time to time I stumble across a fly that has a story. It's great when it happens. Case in point is a fly named the Dr. Mummy. I spent maybe 5 years following it's trail before I finally put the materials to the hook. I read all I could find connecting history to this fly and there's quite a story if you go about it the way I did. Flies like these are a pleasure for me to tie; as I place each material on the hook in a very relaxed leisurely pace I recall everything I learned and experienced about it and they take me fishing to places I''ll never get too. If a fly like this takes me an hour to put together, so be it. Just like reading a good book or watching a great movie.

Of course, I tie up the regulars for restocking but I seldom venture nowadays tying the latest and greatest. All the new ones remind me of rush hour traffic, sure I'll look at them and admire some of them but I like to tie the ones that tell me a story.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

57 degrees? I am dying for a 57 degree day here so I can GO FISHING! (how far N in MI are you?)

Kidding aside, I tie a lot flies in the winter. Too many to use, but I need to do it. I love to do it.

We host fly swaps all winter, stay tuned and join in.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

I never really stop tying. I'm always having to restock one box or another. Winter slows down a tad and I'll starting tying more often as trips to Iowa daily aren't always possible.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

We get cold winters here--like, really really cold--so fly tying is a substitute for fly fishing. Tying a few flies while enjoying a glass of whisky in front of the fire is a fine way to spend a cold night. I mainly tie salmon and steelhead flies, streamers and wets. We usually take a tropical holiday during the winter, and If I can convince my wife that we need to take one in a place where I can do some salt water fly fishing (last year it was Belize) then I'll be tying up some saltwater patterns as well--Gotchas, Clousers, Crazy Charlies.

Scott
Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Hey dean mt,

I'm far enough north in Michigan to be in the middle of some of the best trout waters-- Grayling, and right on the banks of the AuSable River. The cabin/house sits about 1.5 hours south of "the bridge," so the UP folks still consider me a "troll..." (It's a Michigan thing...)

So, why the AuSable River, other than its phenomenal trout fishing and it being an inspirational place to tie? Well, it just seems appropriate, as I started my fly-fishing career at 8 years old on the North Branch of the river system, and should the cancer demons ever catch up with me-- 16 years now and having beaten three brain tumors --I'd like to end my time on this river as well. Full circle...
Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Hairwing, you don't have explain why Grayling. I grew up down in SW Michigan but have spent time up in Pigeon River country, its a beautiful secret.

Glad to hear that you've beaten your cancer. I hope participate in some swaps this winter.