The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 01:12 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How Many Of You Will Be Tying This Winter?

Ah, a displaced "Michigander," but relocated to a region that ranks right up there as being part of "God's Country." I've been to MT and WY but once, and I fell in love with the region. Had this cancer thing not gotten in the way-- Mayo and U of M's Cancer Center aren't far away --and were it not for the river known as The AuSable, I once planned to plant my feet in either Montana or Wyoming. There's some beautiful places to fish in both...

Still, I do love the cedar sweeps and horseshoe bends of the AuSable, the Manistee, the Pigeon, the Boardman, the Pere Marquette, and another river or two located here in Michigan. Perhaps, the best thing about where we're located is that I can hit them all within 60 minutes-- the AuSable River in about 65 feet!

And, best of all? I'm now four years back among the "sighted" community and able to "see" said rivers. Brain tumor #2 robbed me of my sight for five long years until the "miracle surgery" of late 2009. Five years of blindness felt like an eternity...

No doubt, I'll be taking part in some of the swaps this coming "season." I always enjoy seeing how many talented tyers still practice the art of wrapping a hook!!

Set a hook for me, my friend, amidst the waters of MT...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 09-07-2013, 01:26 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

What ?...There is a season for fly tying ?

PT/TB
stenacron and theboz like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Does it ever end ? Thankfully no! I find that every time I think I'm set fly wise something brings me back to the vise! Lost flys, pilfered flys( my son has a habit of "borrowing ") , new patterns to try and so on! If I'm not fishing or on the forum beats TV or yard work any day! Never enough if your using them!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-07-2013, 05:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Wow Jerry, that's just an amazing story. And living on the banks of the AuSable is as good as it gets, anywhere.

I visited my folks this summer and drove up to traverse to see an old friend, the Manistee looked beautiful and intriguing, I never fished that river. Someday.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:37 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i dont have a tying "season" as i tie all year long

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

One of the things that I've always loved about fly-fishing is that it's one of those rare sports that allows you to immerse yourself to your own "comfort level." Like its hunting equivalent-- duck hunting, for example --a man or woman can simply enjoy the sport for what it is, and leave it at that.

Conversely, you can take both sports-- fly fishing and waterfowling --and turn them into something that lasts all year long. For example, you can choose to tie your own flies, just as you can make your own decoys. If you're of the mind to, you can build your own rods or load your own "special" loads for ducks/geese. And, scouting? It applies equally to both endeavors, as an angler "hunts" for trout while a "duck man" hunts for the best blind placement on a flyway.

I was lucky in my upbringing. My grandfather and his favorite fishing/shooting partner-- "Doc" Holship --were partial to the sports of fly fishing AND hunting ducks, geese, deer and upland birds. I learned to fish-- and to tie flies--as a young kid, and learned to hunt at roughly the same time. I watched and absorbed the teachings of my grandfather as he cut his own decoys from cedar stock. When I wasn't tying flies or fishing, I was painting and prepping new dekes for the seasons to come. I've never regretted being brought up "rural" on my grandparents' farm.

I gave up duck hunting when my eyesight went into decline before the blindness, and haven't picked it up again in the years since the sight restoration. These days, I typically fish and tie more than I hunt, as I lean more toward the Fall "cast and blast" outings-- fishing in the morning, and upland birds in the afternoon.

Still, I keep in touch with my "waterfowling cronies." After all, where else can one find a steady source for free wings and breast feathers? Besides, I'm not ready to completely rule out the odd 3:00 am trip to Saginaw Bay just yet...
Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Jerry doesn't know me from Adam and we live about 1500 miles apart but some how his duck hunting hobby made it to my vise. I bought some material from him a few years back and he included free of charge a couple of bags of mallard flank and fur scraps.

Here is your mallard flank Jerry, it's sitting atop a fly that I tied. I could have used some of the duck I shot myself but used yours instead. Small fly fishing world ain't it. Thanks.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 AM

calftail,

Beautiful piece of hand-craftsmanship, and well-tied! It makes me feel good to know that "paying a little forward" can produce such an outstanding fly. If ever you're in need of the "unique" feathered oddities, let me know. My buddy from out East keeps sending me my occasional "blind box" auction wins, though I don't ever remember bidding. He says that it's done on my behalf to keep me "busy." You'd be amazed at some of the stuff that's been inside said boxes...

Again, well done, calftail. I wouldn't mind hanging one of those framed above the tying desk...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

owning a small shop in my house the tying never stops, along with custom orders, keeping bins filled (Hah) and coming up with new patterns its an all year 2,000+ tying session. winter is the busy time though since there is not much to do here in the winter.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 AM

As the late-Fall and Winter months approach here in northern Michigan, I've been busy tying and getting things ready for another of my annual free fly-tying classes for "my kids"-- kids battling/surviving cancer, just like me. Along with their folks, they will fill our small home/cabin every Saturday, weather permitting, with an occasional "field trip" to my former chief oncologist's lodge upriver, or a special class to be held at a very special place known as "Trail's End." (Please see "I Met Myself Last Night" in the Lodge Den section of the forum to better understand its signifcant nature...)

I teach the classes every year because I've seen first-hand how the mere wrapping of a hook can make a HUGE difference in the lives of kids going through the challenges of treatments and battling their disease. I've been there far too many times over the last 16 years, and if I can push those burdens into the background for just a few hours a week, it is an undertaking that I will gladly take on... anytime!

Most years, I get an array of new students, kids who've never tied before. This year will be a bit different, as I have a 50/50 mix of "past and new" students. Being blessed with such a mix will gift me with a few more experienced hands with which to teach, though there's generally a fair number of fishing cronies who swing by to help out.

And, to be honest with all of you, the classes keep "Pops"-- my nickname via past classes of "my kids" --going strong in his own fight against cancer. 2013 marked the third anniversary of the passing of our youngest daughter to leukemia at age 15. The late Laramie was my "bench-partner," as she'd tie next to me for hours until her own cancer overwhelmed her. To this day, I haven't had the heart to take down and put away her vise. Dear Old Dad just isn't ready for that moment of finality quite yet...

With all that said, tie 'em well, and tie 'em frequently, my friends. And, thank you for weighing in on the fine art of tying...

Jerry, aka hairwing530