The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default How Many Of You Will Be Tying This Winter?

Since curiousity hasn't killed me yet, I have a pair of questions for my fly-fishing/fly-tying brethren on the forum... How many of you will be putting down the rods this coming Fall and Winter and spending your time with bobbin, thread and hackle in hand? How many of you plan to take up the hobby of fly-tying in the off-season?

And, as a kicker inquiry, what flies will you tie the most? Dries? Nymphs? Wets? All of the above?

I ask only because it's 57 degrees here in northern Michigan at this hour-- 12:50 pm --and the tying urge is beginning to take over the ol' thoughts once again.

Looking forward to your replies...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How Many Of You Will Be Tying This Winter?

Most week-end evenings in winter are spent huddled over the vice with a glass of single malt. Goal this year is to simplify my tying - focus on relatively small types of patterns (Dry, Nymphs, Wets) and go for quantity instead of tying a few each of many different patterns.

The last several years, I have generally tied up many many different types of patterns & after fishing them have arrived at the conclusion that only a select set of the patterns have been consistent fish catchers.
yonder and cavdvr like this.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I'll still fish in the winter.. as long as it's a decent day > 32 degrees (I hate clearing the guides of ice.. except when I targeting Steelhead)

but winter is a great time to replenish the boxes, since I tie very little during prime fishing time
yonder likes this.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry, it doesn't take winter for me to decide to tie. I tie year 'round as well as fish year 'round. Fall, winter and spring are my favorite times to be out on the water and the most successful times for catching nice fish.

As far as what I tie, here are a few samples:

A variety of Parasol Emergers:
Click the image to open in full size.

KG's Sand Creek Leech:

KG's Spring Creek Scuds:

A lot of these - Flashback Bead-head Pheasant-tail Nymphs:

KG's Deep Purple Peril Midge - best fly I use for winter nymphing:

KG's South Fork Mysis - another winter killer fly:

A variety of these - KG's EPF Emergers:

A few micro Pheasant-tails:

A bunch of these - Big Ugly Rubberlegs:

KG's CDC Para-jumper:

Zebra Midge:

Improved Shop Vac:

KG's Green Gobblin:

KG's Chromie Buzzer:

KG's Cased Caddis:

KG's Killer Damsel:

I will also be tying a mess of streamers as we had some pretty hot action this past winter especially with white streamers with a small dab of red thrown in:

There are a lot more I will tie, so this is just a sampling of what will be produced.

Kelly.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Hey Hairwing,
There is no end to the fishing season around these parts, but with short days and long nights just around the corner it defiantly makes room for more fly tying!

Stocking up the fly boxes is pretty routine, but that still doesn't start for at least a good two or three months from now!
Nymphs don't really have much of a place in my boxes but dries, soft hackles and streamers are always welcome, filling in the boxes ends up being a little random.

With it finally starting to cool off I am still looking forward to some of the best fishing of the year. IMO

Can hardly believe we are already talking about winter.

Cheers,
Watson
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry: 57 degrees, sounds like the start of streamer fishing in your area!
I'll be tying this winter also, actually I'm in a mouse pattern swap that is due the end of the month, but tomorrow I'm headed to the NE section of YNP, planning on fishing the Lamar valley area with Brian (Liphookedau) assuming his flight schedule works out, this past week he has been up in Alaska fishing with Ard. When I grow up I want to learn to tie flies like Kelly does!

Larry
dhayden and yonder like this.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I fish until the streams I frequent lock up with ice or dry up in the summer months. Tying is a year round addiction. I probably tie more nymphs and streamers than dries but I like to tie a little bit of everything to keep things interesting.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I fish and tie year round but the ratio reverses in the winter. Hope to learn some new patterns and stock up on the ones that worked this year.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to tie this winter.

During the past two winters I tied 900 and 750 flies respectively. I tied for donations to various organizations. I suppose you could call it catch and release fly tying.
kglissmeyer1, jaybo41 and yonder like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

We've got till the end of the month, then tying season begins. I need to concentrate on filling my boxes with the old tried and true patterns. I did real well with soft hackles this year, they will probably be at the top of the list.
jaybo41 likes this.