The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Very small dries

I do, but I'm wondering why on something. Do you really think it's necessary to put wings on small dries,,,20 or smaller ? I'll be honest,,putting wings on ultra small dries give me a headache for the effort.

What say ye ? Tail, body and a good hackle good enough ?

Thanks friends,

Mike
Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very small dries

I often tie them without wings, I more often tie them as parachutes or comparadun style. I do wonder if there are times that wings can make a different but more often then not they don't matter.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

William, do you like using UV Resins more than standard stuff like 'hard as nails' and such ?

I've thought about going this way myself, but as there is no other fly tier around to show me his examples, I haven't gotten into it.

Seems like the way to go from were I'm at. Just appears you can do so much more with it. I first got to thinking on UV resins for scud backs and nymph wing cases and such.
Mike
Old 09-08-2013, 11:58 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I use both. If it will soak into the thread, ex at the base of parachutes or a dot on thread heads, I use hard as nails or head cement. When I want something thicker or want it to be visible I use the UV stuff.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I do, but I'm wondering why on something. Do you really think it's necessary to put wings on small dries,,,20 or smaller ? I'll be honest,,putting wings on ultra small dries give me a headache for the effort.

What say ye ? Tail, body and a good hackle good enough ?

Thanks friends,

Mike
Mike,

I tie regular wings down to 18. What I do for 20 & smaller is tie in a couple short pieces of midge flash the same way I would tie in wings. This is probably more for the fisherman than the fish though. I doubt it matters if something is there or not. Sounds like I might have to have experiment during our winter BWO hatches

Good luck,
Carlton
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I don't put any wings on any palmered hackle dry flies like BWO's or Adams. I don't see the point.

Randy
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on how creative I'm feeling.

Here is a sample of a BWO I tie without wings:
Click the image to open in full size.

Also, you may want to experiment with parachute patterns in smaller sizes as has already been suggested.

Here is a step-by-step for tying a simple parachute post without the bulk. For smaller patterns just decrease the size of poly material you tie in for the post:

Tie on a small noodle of poly in color of your choice by securing with three solid wraps around middle of material onto the hook shank:

Figure-eight several wraps under and around both sides of material:

Pull the two ends of the material together at the top of the hook and hold them secure while beginning to wrap up the post:

Wrap securely up the post as pictured. I then attach my hackle to the post so that I can begin wrapping it at the top and then down to the base. Wrapping the hackle is the last step after completing the rest of the fly:

Kelly.
stenacron likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Business Member

South Holston will become famous soon enough

use cdc it makes it easy. Either pinch off each side of stem. or cut the stem out of cdc - making a v and use fiber only.
Montana Fly Company sells a small stemmed natural cdc that can work well on 20's.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough

I have to get into the small fly frame of mind, once there it really isn't to bad

Old 09-12-2013, 11:51 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road

Speaking of BWO, since I don't have access (money wise) to any blue dun hackle, is grizzly hackle a good alternative?