The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fly_guy12955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Question about Adams dries

I may be totally off base here (usually I am) but with all the dyed color variations you can get from the feather farms, Whiting, Metz,,etc,,,wouldn't there be a choice that you could hackle an Adams with only one feather and get the desired results ? Maybe a brownish dyed grizzly cape or saddle feather ?

Just curious about this.

Mike
Old 09-09-2013, 08:17 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question about Adams dries

I'm not convinced that hackle color matters in most situations.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

There is. Feather Emporium sells a Whiting 'cree' feather that they call the one feather adams, perhaps others sell it too? I've never used it but am tempted to pick some up.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM

coastrider is on a distinguished road

Cree is very expensive, not sure if it would be worth it. Maybe a badger type feather would suffice?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it is expensive, but it looks like it fits the OPs question. I have a Herbert Miner variant I use alone that has a nice mix of colors though not as close as the cree looks. I also use just grizzly and tie a parachute hare's ear that works well. The beauty is that you can use all kinds of variants on the traditional patterns, especially on attractors.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:56 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I just was looking and Whiting themselves have a full cape, dyed grizzle for 45 dollars, in straw, or golden brown , that looks almost just like that Cree feather. It's a bit cheaper for sure.

Mike
williamhj likes this.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I like having two different color hackles on my flies. Even on BWO's I'll use two different color hackles. More than anything I like having two hackle feathers. I think they help the flies float a little better.

Randy
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

For $66 you can get yourself a whiting "introductory pack". 4 capes. Griz, brown, black, and dun.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I may be totally off base here (usually I am) but with all the dyed color variations you can get from the feather farms, Whiting, Metz,,etc,,,wouldn't there be a choice that you could hackle an Adams with only one feather and get the desired results ? Maybe a brownish dyed grizzly cape or saddle feather ?

Just curious about this.

Mike
short answer is YES

try some dyed grizzly or barred ginger

cree would get the job done but there are less expensive options out there

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/