The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:46 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice
Default Help me w/ a simple stonefly nymph pattern?

So, without running out for more tying supplies, I'd like to turn out some black stonefly nymphs but I'm having some trouble finding simple patterns.

Assume the following plausible materials --

appropriate hooks in sizes 8 - 14
wire (for weight)
black dyed rabbit dubbing
various hackles in brown, black, grizzly, and furnace
various loose chicken feathers in the same ^^
quills obtainable from the above ^^
tinsel, flash, and fine tinsel braid
black marabou
peacock herl
chenille
yarn
craft foam

Without necessarily using all of these things, what would you do? Can you show me? Post a pic of the finished product?

Thanks for any & all help. I feel like I've got most of my fly box under control, but this is a weak spot.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me w/ a simple stonefly nymph pattern?

Black chenille and some black hackle wrapped for legs....doesn't get much simpler, unless you color up some rubber bands to use as tails, antennae, and legs.

Stoneflies/Salmon Flies don't have to be fancy to be very effective.
oarfish and mirabelasunshine like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'll add,,if you do not have biots for a tail,,use squirrel hair,,,or some fibers pulled from a hackle. Anything simple will work.
mirabelasunshine likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Montana stone

Black pheasant tail makes a good stonefly

Fullback

Halfback

http://www.google.com/search?q=black...ih=800&dpr=1.5

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Ugly bug... Black chenille. Lead wire. Black rubber legs. Black thread. That's all you need.

http://www.americanflyfishing.com/re...9&store_id=212
Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
Montana stone

Black pheasant tail makes a good stonefly

Fullback

Halfback

black stonefly nymph - Google Search
Interestingly when I clicked your link it said that the search did not yield any results. Either way I'd guess the OP knows how to do a google search, was just looking for specific patterns that use the materials he has on hand.

Here are two, options. They do ask for some stuff you don't have but look for something similar that you do have and substitute. That can work just fine. I don't have finished pictures but here are the links to the youtube videos, the first isn't focused very well, but it is a simple pattern and you could probably skip the yellow chenile

The second asks for some materials you don't have but could probably sub. ex. use quills instead of biots etc.

+1 for itchmesir's suggestion. Since you don't list rubber legs you could just wrap it in long hackle and trim.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to keep in mind about stones, they're wider than they are round.

If I had those materials on hand and wanted to stick to a couple of options with those materials only.

Black Hackle fibers for tail
Wire cut along shank to widen the body or wrap them around the shank, then flatten it with pliers after you wrap it with thread.

Thinking out loud here...

Tie in flash, dub black to abdomen, counter-wrap flash or wire if you have it
peacock hurl for thorax, black hackle for legs. You could wrap them similar to a soft hackle or do them like kelly does. This has been a game changer for me.

Unique Nymph Legs

another option would be to sub out the dubbing for the body and take strands of marabou off, tie them in and wrap them around the body, then counter-wrap with wire or flash. Or you could dub the body and use the marabou for the thorax.

Sometimes I think I get too caught up on all the "required" materials for a certain pattern but should instead focus on subbing stuff that I have on hand. If you saw the two tower drawers jammed with materials I've got you might think the same.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I like the rubber legs in black or white with a bead head black body (no lead). A thickish dubbing head, and then progressively skinnier three part dubbing body with a few sparse hairs/flash for a tail. In fast water, like the Yellowstone I've pinched a tiny split shot above them, but on calmer water the bead works fine. These are tied on about a size 8. Basically, a three part insect body narrowing as it goes back with a little flash on the arse and rubber legs (sort of like an MTV starlet).
Old 09-14-2013, 11:55 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Sounds way to technical. Pat's Rubber Legs is the way to go.

Print Pat's Rubber Legs aka The Pickle

Randy
Old 09-15-2013, 12:16 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Trout Champ on this. Pat's Rubberlegs is an easy, but effective pattern.