The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By allenflyfishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 01:04 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hook Comparison Chart

I updated an old hook comparison chart. Over the years, hook companies discontinued numbers, renumbered their models, added a new line of hooks. Umpqua's new U-Series hooks are on the updated chart.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis
mcnerney, jpbfly, dean_mt and 6 others like this.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hook Comparison Chart

That's awesome, thanks for posting that.

I have been using the Umpqua hooks ( non tiemco) and they are pretty good, no major complaints.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:32 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Nice chart.

Hopefully you can add partridge, allen, Dai riki, kamasan etc

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 09-22-2013, 05:02 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I updated an old hook comparison chart. Over the years, hook companies discontinued numbers, renumbered their models, added a new line of hooks. Umpqua's new U-Series hooks are on the updated chart.

Click the image to open in full size.

Dennis
To that, I would add some A.R.E. Hook Equivalents.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
Nice chart.

Hi Flytire, I'm working on a cross ref now. Hope to have it done soon.

Thanks

Justin
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:30 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
Nice chart.

I could, but I won't.

Tell you what, if you really want to take the time to look at old charts, look up manufacturers' web pages that are available to the public, or borrow dealer books from a fly shop, you, too, can have the information that you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I have been using the Umpqua hooks ( non tiemco) and they are pretty good, no major complaints.
I tie most my trout flies on the Umpqua U-Series hooks. I have not had any issues with them. They are as sharp as any Tiemco hook except for the Super Point models. I also like that the 50 packs are nearly the same cost as Tiemco's 25 packs.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:41 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Tell you what, if you really want to take the time to look at old charts, look up manufacturers' web pages that are available to the public, or borrow dealer books from a fly shop, you, too, can have the information that you are looking for.

ya its on my retirement list of things to do--in six years

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenflyfishing View Post
Hi Flytire, I'm working on a cross ref now. Hope to have it done soon.

Thanks

Justin
justin,

thank you for YOUR EFFORT. its a big job that needs a constant eye looking for newer hooks as they come along.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 09-23-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

MoscaPescador Thanks for the chart!

Had been away from tying for a lot of years, and had a bit of difficulty just figuring out the old Mustad numbers to the new Mustad numbers. Did figure out that I missed a previous re-numbering. Many of the wet patterns in my binder call for a Mustad 3908.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to make several copies and tape them into my tying books. Thanks!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey