The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default TUTORIAL - Tying on a married wing

I did this one for some guys on another board, thought i'd put it up here too for those who are interested.

Eunan

First, this is by no means the definitive way to tie on a wing, but its what works for me.
I just started from the throat hackle, so you have to imagine there is a body tail etc behind all this.
This one is tied on an eyed hook, so i left a little extra space so as not to crowd the eye. It is size 1 old mustad limerick.

Couple of the picture are blurry, but you'll get the general idea.

1. You must have a level surface on which to mount the wing. I mount mine over the the throat hackle after tying the fibers down.
Tie on your throat hackle.
Click the image to open in full size.

2. wind it full

3. Separate the fibers at the top and distribute them evenly on both sides, then wind your tying thread back about 2-3mm with 4 or 5 tight wraps, your hackles should all be at or below the plane of the hook shank. Make sure the area is level, because if there is a bump it will throw your wing vertical.
Use extra thread wraps to make it level. You will tie your wing in a the wrap FURTHEST from the eye of the hook, and the wing will not be tied down beyond the hackle a the front.

4. make your wing. Here i used 27 slips, 9 of each color. Usually the max i will use is 30-33, depending on wing depth, whether or not there is an underwing, and whether i'm marrying different fibers together. These are all goose shoulder, if you use amherst, golden pheasant, turkey etc, those fibers are thicker, so you will want to use less. Typically i aim for a wing that is just about the width of the hook gap.

5. hold the wing in your tying hand and find the tie in point. Here it is just a bit beyond the bend of the hook. if there was a tail, i'd make sure it fit with the tail length and height, but generally, just a shade over the bend of the hook is a good starting point.

6. Once you've found the tie in point, switch hands by bumping your thumbs and fingers from opposite hands together to get the tie in point, then make a 90 degree bend in the wing by stroking the fibers down with your right hand.

7. reassess the tie in point

8. switch hands again maintaining the 90 degree bend (hidden behind my thumb). at this point i wet the fibers to help them collapse, spit or water, your choice. Notice the gap between the hook shank and the wing!! that is important.

9. Now for the wrapping. make a death grip on your wing. You wont crush it. Dont worry. The death grip is important for keeping the wing shape and to prevent it rolling or breaking apart
Your thread should be hanging down the far side of the hook shank. Bring it under the hook, up and over the wing, then rather than go under the hook shank, go under the wing, through the gap between the wing and the hook above the hook shank, using the pinch wrap so the there is no tension on the fibers. Repeat this pinch wrap over the wing, under the wing through the gap, and back down the other side. Thread should now be on the far side of the shank.

Still maintaining the death grip with your left hand, hold the butts in your right hand and slowly and gently loosen the pinch wraps allowing the weight of the bobbin to collapse the fibers. The left hand should not move up and down, only the right hand and the butt fibers should move slightly inwards towards the wing. These are the ends you want to move, otherwise, if the wing moves, it will be shorter and misshapen - the death grip prevents this!

Once collapsed, lay the wing on the hook shank, directly above the tie in point and take 3-4 tight wraps towards the eye, all while maintaining the death grip on the wing.
when you're happy its secure, let go with your hand and it should look like this.

see how the wing is tied just one thread wrap forward of the back wrap which tied down the hackle. sides or cheeks will hide this, otherwise, varnish will cover it up nicely if you use a bodkin apply it.

Take two more tight wraps once you're happy, and then cut the butts off close and at an angle. Then tie them down with 5-6 wraps.
If there's nothing else to go on, tie off and varnish, if there's sides, cheeks etc, get them on with minimum wraps ALWAYS going forward to the eye.

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-25-2013, 08:49 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TUTORIAL - Tying on a married wing

awesome tutorial!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: TUTORIAL - Tying on a married wing

Thanks much for posting this Eunan. I really appreciate how you broke down the steps and technique on tying with married wings. I haven't dabbled in married wings, but your post will make a fine reference when I do.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Cool Tutorial!

Any chance (nudge, nudge, nudge) that you could do one on how to marry wings. It's something I have never been able to learn. After finding 3 different set of matching goose quills and failing, I gave-up-for-now on tying a Silver Doctor.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Cool Tutorial!

Any chance (nudge, nudge, nudge) that you could do one on how to marry wings. It's something I have never been able to learn. After finding 3 different set of matching goose quills and failing, I gave-up-for-now on tying a Silver Doctor.
Here is a great video by Davie McPhail on how to marry wings....i've no camcorder and a photographic presentation would be nothing compared to seeing it done!

Addicted To Vise
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the link. This is the part that got me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
4. make your wing. Here i used 27 slips, 9 of each color. Usually the max i will use is 30-33, depending on wing depth, whether or not there is an underwing, and whether i'm marrying different fibers together. These are all goose shoulder, if you use amherst, golden pheasant, turkey etc, those fibers are thicker, so you will want to use less. Typically i aim for a wing that is just about the width of the hook gap.
Sounds like you are laying the fibers one by one instead of laying one group of fibers on top of another group.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great tutorial. Seeing these always makes me want to give it a shot, but I always blow it. I'll give it another shot soon though after seeing this tutorial!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...