The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly tying kit arrived today, what should I tie first?

Helen Shaw's book is pretty cool. You get to learn one thing at a time. Two best things about the approach is that you get to concentrate on just the technique, so the pressure to make a good fly is off. The other good thing about the approach is that you no longer care about color, size, quality, etc. , and you get to make use out of all the stuff you would never use for flies that you fish.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Wooly Buggers! Tons and tons of wooly buggers! When I need to relax I sit down and tie them. I tie weird and wacky ones and traditional ones. They are so fun to tie! Then you can take them out and catch anything that swims.

Sorry, I think I went insane for a moment.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Appreciate all the help very much!

Woolies are definitely going to be attempted this weekend so I can test them.

I will buy some books soon. I already bought a very nice hook selection from Allen and got the 3 free fly boxes. What an awesome hook deal Allen offers! I can tie in a bunch of sizes while I figure out my local waters.

I'm pretty excited to finally have a flybox with more than half dozen choices.

I'll post some PICs soon, (for better or for worse)

Dewayne
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

I'm basically in agreement with what you are hearing.

I'll throw in a plug for a wooly worm--the forefather of the bugger. It lacks the marabou tail.

Quite simple to tie and can function as a basic dry fly without weight, tied with a bead head and/or lead as a streamer. It will get you working with hackling. However you do it, you end up with a "buggy" looking fly that can be also used as a streamer.

A version of it is the crackleback. They use them a lot in Missouri as dry flies, though they can be fished subsurface.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:58 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
I'm basically in agreement with what you are hearing.

I'll throw in a plug for a wooly worm--the forefather of the bugger. It lacks the marabou tail.

Quite simple to tie and can function as a basic dry fly without weight, tied with a bead head and/or lead as a streamer. It will get you working with hackling. However you do it, you end up with a "buggy" looking fly that can be also used as a streamer.

A version of it is the crackleback. They use them a lot in Missouri as dry flies, though they can be fished subsurface.
We have much better luck fishing the cracklebacks subsurface in a couple feet of rippling water. It is a killer fly and fun to tie!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The first 4 flies in Dick Talleur's book "The Fly Tyer's Primer" are all soft hackles.
The fifth is a woolyworm

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
We have much better luck fishing the cracklebacks subsurface in a couple feet of rippling water. It is a killer fly and fun to tie!
That's probably a better way to put it. I see you're from St. Louis, so you probably know Bennett Springs and how they use them there. That's where I've worked with them.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
That's probably a better way to put it. I see you're from St. Louis, so you probably know Bennett Springs and how they use them there. That's where I've worked with them.
Yeah, we also use them at Montauk\Current River and Taneycomo with great success as well. Here in Missouri---don't leave home without them!