The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fly tying kit arrived today, what should I tie first?

I picked up some used but never used stuff on ebay. Scientific Anglers Deluxe kit, Dr. Slick tool kit and a bunch of random tying materials. I know I need a decent vice soon, but for $40 it seemed like a good starting point. I am going to tie some wooly buggers for sure as I use them and they seem to be relatively easy. What else would be a good fly for a novice to tie? They all look pretty easy on youtube, but I'm sure that isn't the case.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly tying kit arrived today, what should I tie first?

First fly should be a San Juan Worm. It teaches thread control and tying the thread off.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

MP is on point; start with some thing very simple and tie several. First will be total "Tosh" as the Brit's would say. Cut the stuff off and into a trash can, same hook and do more.

As you get comfortable more 'complicated' patterns will flow.

Fred
Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The guys are heading you in the right direction. If there is a booklet with the kit, read it and study the diagrams carefully. Fly tying is simple and we all were at the same stage you are at one time. Many people say to tie Woolly Buggers to start and I guess I can agree with that. The pattern is simple and your first fly should catch fish.

Have fun and take your time, it's a long journey.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

You didn't say what you were fishing for, but simple streamers on larger (size 8 and up) are a good way to learn and not get frustrated. A clouser is a little more complicated, so I'd wait till you've got the wooly bugger down, but they aren't rocket science and they work. Soft hackles are pretty easy too. Check youtube and kindle. I found the Orvis beginner's fly tying book useful. Good luck.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

After you tie your first and you're quite proud of it, as most people are, tie about a dozen of the same and post the 12th one as your first; everyone will be impressed.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:56 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I guess it would be helpful if you knew whether I was fishing for tarpon or bluegills?

Stream trout, wild brown and stocked rainbows, mostly from the smaller streams in the Driftless. Trout will be my first tying focus. Later on I will tie for bass, panfish and pike. Or now, if that is an easier way to learn.

New to flyfishing, and so far I have been catching them on woolies and a few simple wet flies I believe would be considered soft hackle. I think nymphs would be effective here, but haven't had many in appropriate sizes to test that theory much. Terrestrials popular too, but I think winter may be here before I learn to tie them.

Also, the book that came with kit is doodoo. It will be youtube lessons to start.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Something that helped me when I first started was to not actually tie a fly. After a few miserable attempts I took a step back. I just started the thread, wrapped the hook to the bend and then back to the eye and whip finished; cut off and repeat. After a couple hours of that my next attempt went much smoother.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Pick up a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying", it is one of the best books I have ever read on fly tying, it is loaded with valuable information from tools, thread control, materials and their uses, and had very detailed instructions on several basic patterns.
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books

Larry
comeonavs and brucerducer like this.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I was you 15 months ago, and I did the same watched tons of you tube videos. My big caution with that is when they have a size 20 hook in the vice and the camera zoomed like mad it makes it look so easy because the proportions are way out of whack unless you have bionic eyes.

My favorite fly to learn on and I went back to it a lot when I struggled was the rainbow warrior. You have to tie in a tail, wrap a material over the hook, dub a thorax, put flash over that thorax, so while it's simple to tie it taught me order of steps and patience. As others have said if it looks like doo-doo take the blade to it and redo it until you like it.

Also with the rainbow warrior every recipe you will see calls for a size 18 or smaller. The first dozen I tied were on a 14 just so I had room to work. Guess what, I've caught fish on those 14's

You are on the right track, but don't forget to create something for you to log your ties....hook type/size, materials needed, what variation you put to the recipe. I take pics of the flies I like and put them on Photobucket and add comments that I can see with the pertinent details. That way when I go what was that thing....hmm pull up photobucket, scroll til I see it and tie away.i also have bookmarked many many fly tying webpage like Charlie Cravens, PlanetTrout and midge manifesto (plus 50 others) that why I can go back to the source quickly.