The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 07:39 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wooly Bugger questions

Quickie pics in case I didn't make myself clear...

size #6 and the smallest chenille I have...Click the image to open in full size.
Forward and back....the underbodyClick the image to open in full size.
the body.....Click the image to open in full size.
this is what you get...Click the image to open in full size.

...and yeah this is tied without marabou! ....but it's a good match.
brucerducer likes this.

Last edited by calftail; 09-28-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

You can trim tails. Hold the feather at the desired length and tear off pieces with the other hand. Not as nice as tying it in right but better than cutting it cleanly.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Some difference of opinion here and that is completely fine. I am tying some heavy buggers and some light ones. The small spring creeks I fish vary from 12" deep and the pools are maybe 4 feet deep. One of my favorite streams often holds feeding browns in less than 12" of water. A few of the other stream you need to find a pool or you won't see much rod action. I will have to figure out much of this for myself. In my limited experience, a bugger that falls slowly works. A quick strip or twitch of the rod will trigger a strike often enough to make it worth doing. My gut reaction is that just a bit of weight will be my best bet.

An overly weighted bugger will get hung in the rocks pretty quick where I fish, and it will annoy the worm slingers when I wade in after it to free it so I try to keep that down to twice an hour or so.

Calftail, you are saying make multiple layers of chenille right? If so, I hadn't seen that in any of the demo vids and have not tried that. And what I have now may be fine, but it just appears thin bodied in comparison to the vids I have viewed. I should probably ask the local fish to vote on that before I get overly concerned. It's not that I insist on a beefier body, it's just what I am used to seeing.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Sorry fellow fly tier, I thought you were spanking brand new at the hobby and thought I could help with your questions. You know what you want and you know how you want to tie the fly to your satisfaction. I apologize for thinking that you were a noob. Go for it ! Do your thing.

Post up some pics...personally I like to look at flies.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:28 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Sorry fellow fly tier, I thought you were spanking brand new at the hobby and thought I could help with your questions. You know what you want and you know how you want to tie the fly to your satisfaction. I apologize for thinking that you were a noob. Go for it ! Do your thing.

Post up some pics...personally I like to look at flies.
I am indeed very new to tying. My experience is limited to watching internet vids and asking questions here. Sounds like I ticked you off and certainly wasn't my intent at all. If I wasn't clear in last post, I was asking if you are stacking the chenille in layers? Are you? I haven't seen that method in the videos watched. I thought they might be using thicker chenille than I am. I have no idea if it even exists.

My apologies for offending you. I'm not sure what I said to anger you. If it was my sentence regarding differences of opinion, folks are telling me to weight the fly, others don't prefer that. Only thing I am pretty sure of is I need a fly to not hit stream bottom too fast because my streams are very shallow. You'll have to read the posts above to understand the context of that sentence.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 PM

I'm not ticked off, offended or angry. My apologies again.

Sometimes I am terse, blunt in my comments and don't mean to sound that way. I am an ole fart you may or not know.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not ticked off, offended or angry. My apologies again.

Sometimes I am terse, blunt in my comments and don't mean to sound that way. I am an ole fart you may or not know.
No problem, now back to more important things. You are stacking layers of chenille to gain wooly body bulk on yours?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
No problem, now back to more important things. You are stacking layers of chenille to gain wooly body bulk on yours?
This is not how I would normally tie a body on a wooly bugger, I would use the proper size body material, and is only an idea for you to use to suit your eye.

I was trying to give, not only to you, but all that did not have the idea of an underbody a way to make their flies look a little better.

Sorry gents...I shouldn't have commented. I put the wooly bugger to sleep in my fly box in the early '70's and moved in another direction. I will further watch my comments and respectively add only historically info if I can find a way to fit it to the forum.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:24 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
This is not how I would normally tie a body on a wooly bugger, I would use the proper size body material, and is only an idea for you to use to suit your eye.

I was trying to give, not only to you, but all that did not have the idea of an underbody a way to make their flies look a little better.

Sorry gents...I shouldn't have commented. I put the wooly bugger to sleep in my fly box in the early '70's and moved in another direction. I will further watch my comments and respectively add only historically info if I can find a way to fit it to the forum.
Oh, for heavens sake! Both of you put away the hair shirts. A little snark never hurt anyone. And for us spectators, learning different ways to tie a fly like the bugger is a good thing. Hell, I used a variation tied on a 1/16th oz jig head to get a few jumps out of a forty pound tarpon on a spinning rod. If I could fish only one fly, as in spin the globe and drop me there with me choosing the fly first, I would choose a wooly bugger. I'm reasonably sure I can catch a fish from a Key West flat, to an Amazonian tributary, to a trout stream in Alaska. Its the AK-47 of flies. Ugly, but reliable. Now kiss and make up and lets get back to questions of how much chennile, where to put the lead, hackle vs. marabou etc.
Peace.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:46 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

The questions you have is kinda what makes it so productive... There are so many options to choose from and its such a quick tie that I feel you would ultimately be best off to just start experimenting. A few tips from my point of of view, If I'm fishing faster water and am drifting/swinging I like them heavy, weighted with wire and no bead head, if I'm stripping i like a heavy beadhead simply because the action it creates with no wire weight. In a normal to slow flow i fish a bugger with no weight/beadhead and use shot to get the fly where i want it in the water column. I prefer the smaller chenille like you described, as for the tail i only use the end of the marabou and prob. have more waste after tying a bugger than i actually use. A tip on tying, tie in your hackle and chenille first then tie in the tail, wrap chenille and hackle it then carefully work the thread back through the hackle to the head of the fly and tie off. This secures the hackle and you'll find the fly will "live" 10x longer. Color wise give my fav a try! Black marabou tail, olive ultra chenille and black hackle, long fibers tied in thinner! Finally, for some reason i hate using any type of flash in my buggers and strictly use natural colors. If i want something flashy there are other patters i would rather turn to. Oh, if you type this in the search ("bugger" fly pattern) you'll get all the results cause no other fairly popular fly pattern uses the word bugger and there could be a entire thread devoted to how people spell ...woollly?.? " Which i think i will actually make, haha. Good luck man.