The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wooly Bugger questions

fq13- did you just accuse me of wearing a skirt on a pubic forum? I am going to surprise calftail and fly out to Colorado so he can take me fishing for my birthday I wish that wasn't a joke, but we are all good now.

tbum- you read my mind on what colors to try next. I am going to have to order supplies today. Might have just enough to build an olive bugger. Thanks for the tip on searching "bugger". Never occurred to me. All that money wasted on college.

All- Appreciate the answers to my questions. I think I have enough weighted buggers to try. I will tie a couple light ones and go fishing. Perhaps later today.

I was hopeful that I asked decent enough questions to make this useful to the next noob tyer that comes along. I intend to launch a thread for some of the other common patterns as I always get thoughtful answers on this forum
calftail likes this.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't recall mentioning wearing women's clothing and hanging out in bars, but being lumberjacks, you're both OK. But I will mention this. I found this great sparkly olive chenille, paired with olive marabou (Jimmy Choo pumps optional), its great. I got it when I bought a bunch of random stuff off Ebay so I wouldn't know where to find it, although I'm looking as I'm running out, but I'm a fan. I really like the sparckly chenille. Its a beefier thread than the standard, so it might be better suited to a bass fly tied on #6 than a trout fly on a #12, but I really have had great success with the stuff on both blue gills, as well as mangrove snappers and baby tarpon. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I want to weigh in here and swing my purse a little bit so don't complain about the length of my skirt.

I gave up using Chenille for Wooly Buggers long ago. I just use Yarn.
Yarn can also be brushed-out, using the Gun-Cleaning Brush that is like a wire toothbrush. Also, you can brush your teeth with it, and get a bright smile. Then you can use it for the gun-cleaning.

Any wire I use for weight, I now tend to tie in-line with the length of the Hook Shank, about 1/8 " behind the eye of the hook. Sometimes I use lead,
but I think copper has magical properties, so I use 1/4" of 14 gauge for heavily weighted streamers, and lighter wire for small stuff.

Also, for running streamers at / near bottom, it can be weighted on the opposite side of the Hook Point, which will flip the Hook Point skyward.

Currently, I am tying Polly Rosborough's (1932 era)
"Casual Dress Nymph" and substituting some Craft Fur and Light Gray
"Uni Mohair" for the tail and body. I happened to find the Uni-Mohair, which looks like a kind of "dubbed" thread at the bargain bin of Angler's All in Denver, CO. I never even knew they made it.

I have looked for Mo-Hair Sweaters at the Thrift stores, hoping to Cannibalize the stuff from some clothing. One sweater would be a lifetime supply of Mohair dubbing, but I cannot find Mohair clothing anywhere.

I think there is some Mohair "yarn" at the craft stores, but it seems to be almost a different product that goes by the name for the Crafters and so forth.

Good topic.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

fq13- I do look good in chenille, but the pumps don't work for me as I always cut my feet when I shave them.

I responded to your PM, I am up for any recommendations for fly tying suppliers. Bought the most recent batch from Hook and Hackle. Good experience so far. I think they are a rod building supply company dipping their toe into fly supplies. Since I am just starting out I can hit the minimum amounts for free shipping from a lot of places.

I need to order by tomorrow if anyone else has a recommendation. I need to tie some buggers for the fly swap I want to use good stuff. I know for sure my hooks are too short. The whole 2X 3X 4X thing is new to me.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Hook and hackle has always been a tying/rod building supply house even back to the 80s when I started tying flies

Not much difference in their paper catalog from back then to now

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 09-29-2013, 10:37 AM

I will experiment with the yarn. The copper wire will be tried too. I have 40 miles of stranded copper wire in the garage in every conceivable guage.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:22 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
fq13- I do look good in chenille, but the pumps don't work for me as I always cut my feet when I shave them.

I responded to your PM, I am up for any recommendations for fly tying suppliers. Bought the most recent batch from Hook and Hackle. Good experience so far. I think they are a rod building supply company dipping their toe into fly supplies. Since I am just starting out I can hit the minimum amounts for free shipping from a lot of places.

I need to order by tomorrow if anyone else has a recommendation. I need to tie some buggers for the fly swap I want to use good stuff. I know for sure my hooks are too short. The whole 2X 3X 4X thing is new to me.
Okay, as requested, here are some ebay stores I've done business with and gotten good supplies for short dollars.
For bucktail and soft hackle try this guy.

fishingsupplyco | eBay

For marabou and dubbing try this lady (note, don't pay if you're buying more than one item. She'll consolidate your order to save big money on shipping, but email first before you pay). I got good quality marabou and dubbing.

Body Materials, Feather Products items in Mountainview Flies and Supplies store on eBay!

These folks I haven't ordered from yet, but they have a ton of Chenille at great prices and free or cheap shipping on most of it. I intend to place an order soon.

Chenille, Single Cards items in Fly Tying Chenille and Hackle store on eBay!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:51 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

The black chenille I used on the flies I sent to you is called "Wooly Bugger chenille" from Hareline (I think). It's a medium sized chenille, and has an ideal mix of flash in it. Comes in many colors.

Do yourself a favor and pick up some decent hackle. For buggers, I prefer to use Whiting's "Bugger Packs". They're about $20 but you'll have enough hackle for a few hundred buggers.

Pick yourself up a pack of size 8, 2 or 3xl streamer hooks. Allen sells some (Model S402 or S403). But every hook company out there sells that style hook, so just buy what you want.

Last edited by ted4887; 09-29-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:41 PM

Ted

If I can tie woolies that look close to yours I will be very happy. I have some decent hackle feathers but need to order most everything else. Most of the hooks I bought could stand to be longer but I can use them for nymphs.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

FQ13 - That's a nice set of links.

Have had a lot of good success with Hook & Hackle in the past year.

Wire: a lot of very good, fine copper can be found in old electrons, like clock radios and the like.