The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wooly Bugger questions

Here's some of what I taught myself for this pattern:
I wanted some really heavy buggers for deep fast water, so I tied them with fat, heavy lead wire most of the length of the hook.
I also made really fat, bushy tails by tying bunches of marabou to the top, sides and bottom of the hook.
Both of these methods left me with skinny gaps between tail tie-ins and the lead and where the lead ended and the hook eye/bead/lead eyes/cones. I wasn't willing to use tying thread to fill these gaps, so I used dental floss. Available in different thicknesses it works really well. Used over lead wire to smooth out the fly body, then given a shot of super glue, it really helps hold the fly together as it bangs along the bottom. When I used to tie and fish these more, I'd tie each color combination indifferent sizes and weights and arrange them in the fly box by weight.
The fatter bodies (from the floss) would require the use of thinner chenille. Or stay with the large and make a really fat fly.
Short bites taught me tie shorter tails.
If you want a heavy bugger to fish near the bottom, but don't want hang ups, tie it hook point up-but forget about C&R 'cause they can really injure fish.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Last edited by JoJer; 09-30-2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Got some supplies in today so back on the wooly project. I tied the tail in first as suggested by Calftail and perhaps others. That solved two problems. The streamer now feels much more durable and the body is built up to what appears more correct to me. A single wrap of chenille and they now look right. I ordered some wool yarn but it didn't come in, so it's still exclusively chenille bodies for now.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Read threw this thread more than a couple of times. Really made me think about how I tie buggers and why I tie them that way. Two thoughts came to mind. "the bugger you fish most often swap" and/ or a bugger thread with a pic and a detailed description of your bugger with a detail materials list and the details and thoughts on the hows and whys you tie it that way.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

If I understood you correctly, there are show buggers, and buggers perhaps more likely to catch fish. I am saving the buggers I tie that don't quite make the grade for a swap. I think they might catch fish. I need to find the compromise between pretty full tail and sparse so I don't tie woolies guaranteed to foul immediately upon use.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 10-04-2013 at 07:27 AM.