The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 08:39 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Picture of your fly tying bench and organizing methods

Just what the title says. I am new to fly tying and I am just looking for some organizing ideas for my own set up.
I have been keeping it simple so far. some wooly buggers, black nose dace, clouser minnows in various sizes and colors and really trying to get some of the basics down.
So, any advice on organizing would be great. There are several "I am just starting out" threads so I will lurk on them for start up advice.

Thanks in advance

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

This is what I have so far
I like to keep my work area clear except for materials I need for the fly I am tying-if kit I get pretty unorganized.
Any other suggestions?
Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Picture of your fly tying bench and organizing methods

Hi Mitch,

This may be helpful ; Let's see your tying station

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

That helps, thanks
JC
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I didn't go back through the thread and some posts are a couple years old but there are a bunch of tying stations on it I know. I think my little corner is even there. Some of the fellows are incredibly organized.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Another more recent thread...

Fly tying room?
Old 11-28-2013, 11:49 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Gerstner ChestsClick the image to open in full size.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough

Organizing methods! What's that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2013, 05:33 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Having just finished installing and putting the finish on the floor, had plans to put the rolltop desk back together (fly tying station) when the girls informed me they were using that space for the Christmas tree.

Dave
Old 11-28-2013, 05:56 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Here's mine:

Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I can't post a picture of my bench and organizing method because 1) I don't have a camera, 2) even if I did, I tie at our dining room table and clear everything off when I'm done, and 3) I don't have an organizing method. I have my vise and some tying materials in a nylon case I got from HMH (along with my vise, an HMH Spartan), and my fly tying materials and tools in one of those divided plastic organizer thingys. That all goes on a shelf in one of our closets when I'm not tying.

I am very envious of the benches posted in this thread. There are some beautiful set-ups here. One day, when I'm retired, I'll have a devoted bench and fishy "corner" of a garage or workshop or some place where all of my fishing tackle and fly tying stuff is kept and organized.

Scott
littledavid123 likes this.