The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   They'll be days like this (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/333211-theyll-days-like.html)

calftail 10-02-2013 06:28 PM

They'll be days like this

Ever hang it up ? :icon_cry:

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps0b928cde.jpg

random user 10-02-2013 06:40 PM

Re: They'll be days like this

YOU WON! I don't see any blood! I call that a WIN.

ia_trouter 10-02-2013 07:08 PM

I this one of those impossible puzzles with an easy solution I have seen at the bar? Now go ahead and post the video showing us the trick to getting the razor off the hook :)

ted4887 10-02-2013 09:31 PM

How did...... nevermind. So long as all your fingers are in tact, I'd pitch that satanic hook/razor combo into the garbage.

ia_trouter 10-02-2013 10:02 PM

Random had to square me away on what I was really looking at. An old school hook. It's a pretty good optical illusion for a noob. What is the purpose of that hook?

calftail 10-03-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ia_trouter (Post 598007)
Random had to square me away on what I was really looking at. An old school hook. It's a pretty good optical illusion for a noob. What is the purpose of that hook?

ia,

So....I was at the vise and my fingers were fumbling along and I just couldn't get the fly to look the way I wanted. I gave it up and decided the only thing to do was razor the fly and start anew. Frustrating I thought and I had to take a picture. I needed two hands for the camera but wanted the razor as part of the story. I stuck the blade in the "loop" of the hook with the partially shaved body on spur of the moment to express my defeat.

It's a fancy hook and I don't have many so it gets recycled from time to time. The hook is a Partridge "Wilson Dry Single Salmon" for fishing to the Atlantic Salmon. The eye is tapered (to reduce weight, helping it to float) and looped back along the shank for strength. Most looped eye hooks don't go the extra step to taper the eye. It's fine wire, for dry fly, with the classy sproat bend and the finish is referred to as "japanned black". Partridge had a habit of naming their hooks after famous anglers...this fly hook is named in honor of englishman Dermot Wilson.

Don't you dare think about tying Woolly Buggers on a hook like this !...not cool. ;-) j/k

bear 007 10-03-2013 04:41 AM

I see it now.

Quote:

Ever hang it up ?
Oh Ya, I keep a razor knife around just for that purpose.

Quote:

Don't you dare think about tying Woolly Buggers on a hook like this
I've thought about it before but that's as far as its gone, I've got a bunch of them.

ia_trouter 10-03-2013 07:48 AM

Makes perfect sense once explained. At first glance to a noob, it looks like the hook went cleanly through the razorblade. Thought you were doing some witchcraft with your dead animal parts again. :)

theboz 10-03-2013 01:02 PM

Haha!Good one! I thought maybe you were designing a new fly that cut the heads off the fish sort of like the new broadheads that cut the head off the turkey!
Just kidding ! Nice illusion!

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

You could call it a Decapitator Varient!

JoJer 10-03-2013 03:13 PM

Really, get yourself an Exacto knife and some #11 blades. Save the razors for trimming deer hair bodies and use the Exacto for fly euthanasia.