The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By calftail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default They'll be days like this

Ever hang it up ?

Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: They'll be days like this

YOU WON! I don't see any blood! I call that a WIN.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I this one of those impossible puzzles with an easy solution I have seen at the bar? Now go ahead and post the video showing us the trick to getting the razor off the hook
Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

How did...... nevermind. So long as all your fingers are in tact, I'd pitch that satanic hook/razor combo into the garbage.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Random had to square me away on what I was really looking at. An old school hook. It's a pretty good optical illusion for a noob. What is the purpose of that hook?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:05 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Random had to square me away on what I was really looking at. An old school hook. It's a pretty good optical illusion for a noob. What is the purpose of that hook?
ia,

So....I was at the vise and my fingers were fumbling along and I just couldn't get the fly to look the way I wanted. I gave it up and decided the only thing to do was razor the fly and start anew. Frustrating I thought and I had to take a picture. I needed two hands for the camera but wanted the razor as part of the story. I stuck the blade in the "loop" of the hook with the partially shaved body on spur of the moment to express my defeat.

It's a fancy hook and I don't have many so it gets recycled from time to time. The hook is a Partridge "Wilson Dry Single Salmon" for fishing to the Atlantic Salmon. The eye is tapered (to reduce weight, helping it to float) and looped back along the shank for strength. Most looped eye hooks don't go the extra step to taper the eye. It's fine wire, for dry fly, with the classy sproat bend and the finish is referred to as "japanned black". Partridge had a habit of naming their hooks after famous anglers...this fly hook is named in honor of englishman Dermot Wilson.

Don't you dare think about tying Woolly Buggers on a hook like this !...not cool. ;-) j/k

Last edited by calftail; 10-03-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 AM

bear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the roughbear 007 is a jewel in the rough

I see it now.

Quote:
Ever hang it up ?
Oh Ya, I keep a razor knife around just for that purpose.

Quote:
Don't you dare think about tying Woolly Buggers on a hook like this
I've thought about it before but that's as far as its gone, I've got a bunch of them.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Makes perfect sense once explained. At first glance to a noob, it looks like the hook went cleanly through the razorblade. Thought you were doing some witchcraft with your dead animal parts again.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:02 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Haha!Good one! I thought maybe you were designing a new fly that cut the heads off the fish sort of like the new broadheads that cut the head off the turkey!
Just kidding ! Nice illusion!

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

You could call it a Decapitator Varient!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Really, get yourself an Exacto knife and some #11 blades. Save the razors for trimming deer hair bodies and use the Exacto for fly euthanasia.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey