Gamakatsu B10S Alternative

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I know the Gamakatsu B10S is a popular streamer hook, but I am convinced, something is wrong with the design of this hook as since I began using them, I am losing a lot more Smallmouth than I ever have before, fish that you get a really good strip set on, just coming off for no apparent reason.

So here's the deal, I have no local fly shop to go to and compare hooks, was hoping someone here could enlighten me...

I want something that is a bronze or black finish.

I believe the flaw with the B10S hook is the way the hook point, points back up towards the shank of the hook so I do not want the point to turn back up towards the shank.

I want something with similar gap and shank length as the B10S hook is though.

They don't have to be super expensive, just need a good hook for streamers.

I used to use the Daiichi 2461, and it works well, but it has a longer shank than I really need so I began using the B10S.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I use a 3x long tiemco strait shank for my clousers when going after smallies. The long shank helps with the tailnippers. I rarely loose a hooked fish on them

kwb

Reaction score
I should also add, I am looking for something that is available in a size similar to the B10S size 1 for flies in the 5" - 7" range...

I have hook models for smaller streamers, but I can't find anything with the shank length and gap I want that isn't a stainless hook in the size I need.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
kwb, there are similar hooks on the market, but that stinger style has the hook point slightly pointed at the shank on all that I've seen, or the shank is longer. Mustad has one (C52S) , Allen has one too (B200). Daiichi has one.(2720)

Not sure why you're having an issue. I've been using that type of hook for many, many years & have never had any problems. There are similar hooks also used for saltwater tying, (Mustad C47SNPDT, VMC Pin Head hook), although different finishes & wire sizing. I've lost fish but can't say it was because of the hook design.

You might give the Owner Mosquito series of hooks a look. They're available in a black chrome finish, not black like a salmon fly hook, and also in red finish. Very sharp, and strong and comparatively shorter shank than that Aberdeen. Not sure how it will match up with the B10S for shank length however. Very good hook with plenty of gap, and available in many sizes from 10 to 2/0. Owner hooks are not cheap in price. I use them for both plastic baits & tying.

Cabelas has them for $2.99 a pack, but the quantity of hooks varies in the pack depending on the size. This price won't set you back a lot, and should give you an idea about using the hooks.

You might also give the Daiichi 2450 Tube Fly hook a look depending on the sizes you need.

Hope it helps!:)

kwb

Reaction score
I know a lot of people rave about those hooks, but here is the deal...

One of my best fly patterns for Fall Smallmouth, I used to just have a guy tie them for me and he used nickel plated TMC 8089 hooks. I virtually never had a fish come off while using those hooks...

Well I began tying them myself as I use a lot of them and saving a couple bucks per fly can add up, even though I am not the biggest fan of sitting at a desk and tying flies for long periods of time...

I however did not want a nickel plated hook, so I went with the B10S by Gamakatsu...

There is zero difference in the flies, only difference is the hook and the fish are able to throw it very easily with the B10S. Yesterday after 3 fish threw the fly in a row, I tied on the same pattern, but one of my older ones with the 8089, didn't lose a single fish the rest of the day...

In researching hooks, I just realized the TMC 8089 comes in bronze and nickel plated, so I am just going back to the 8089 in bronze. Problem solved. :)

I greatly appreciate everyone's responses!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I find your problem with the B10S intriguing! Whenever I've had an issue with a hook, there has been a perfectly logical explanation. Although I can't say I've had a lot of hook issues. Occasionally, when I was tying commercially I would get a bad batch with various issues but again, that was not often. I've also found that some hooks are occasionally not as sharp as they could be, even hi tech chemically sharpened hooks. The points get bent over, perhaps damaged in the packaging process & even though they appear to be fine, upon close inspection it becomes evident & they won't stick in my finger nail. Perhaps you got a bad batch of hooks.

Please let us know if the bronze 8089 does in fact solve your issue!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
The Allen B200 is almost an exact copy of the B10S. I have a couple of each in the basement if youd like to see a comparison picture.

fq13

Reaction score
I ordered a batch of Allens, but I have been using Mustad Aberdeen light wire hooks in a size #4 for my clousers and buggers, and they work great (plus 'they're cheap so even if they rust on me in the salt, they're still a better deal than stainless).

kwb

Reaction score
These hooks are definitely sharp, was the first thing I checked.

It's definitely an odd deal, but having fished these same flies for years with the TMC 8089 and zero issues, then switching to the B10S and instant issues, seems like the only logical problem is the hook.

The worst part is, I bought a 100 pack of the B10S hooks so now I am sitting on like 85 worthless "to me" hooks LOL

ted4887

Reaction score
What size? I'll take them off your hands. It's one of the few hooks I tie streamers on anymore.

ted4887

Reaction score
I'll take them.

Edit - STL Geoff, you can have them actually. I looked and had a few extra packs of 1's. I don't really need these.

kwb

Reaction score
They are all yours Geoff, PM sent regarding payment details...