The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Geez my egg flies are UGLY. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/333556-geez-my-egg-flies-ugly.html)

okbow68 10-06-2013 01:22 PM

Geez my egg flies are UGLY.

Trying to tie up some egg flies with some #10 egg hooks and mcfloam egg foam out of a foam dispenser tube with Danville 6/0 thread. I'm getting it tied on with a little difficulty but when I cut the foam they are not round that's for sure. They are uneven and ugly even after fluffing the fibers. I have little orange rock looking flies. Yes I am new to this. Help.

Hardyreels 10-06-2013 03:09 PM

Re: Geez my egg flies are UGLY.

I've never used the material you describe but my biggest problem with the egg tied using Glo Bug Yarn was that they do not sink well at all................. I've often thought that the yarn would make better dubbing for dries than eggs.

Honestly I don't, haven't used an egg for years. I find that the fish that are hanging around spawners will take a swung Dee fly or Sculpin almost always. You do have to be careful that the salmon don't grab them though, yesterday I caught 2 Coho while fishing trout with a little 5 wt fiberglass rod 6'6" long....................... Between those I got about 2 dozen trout using a Jock O' Dee so eggs weren't needed.

Tying can be challenging but stay the course, I believe everyone had their difficulties when they started. I know that I did,

Ard

ia_trouter 10-06-2013 05:00 PM

I've been tying 10 days so take this FWIW....

Tie something else for awhile and build some confidence that this isn't impossible. Get on youtube and watch some vids. There are some VERY talented tyers there. Tie stuff in the largest usable size for now. I've tied some pretty stuff, I've tied much more junk. I would love to tie a #24 dryfly. Maybe that will happen someday, or maybe I will have to by buy them, or maybe I will trade some nice #16 nymphs for them. Don't give up, shoot for an easier target if eggs aren't working for you yet.

okbow68 10-06-2013 05:53 PM

Yeah I have watched youtube, they sure make it look easy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

brookfieldangler 10-06-2013 05:56 PM

Forget the foamies. Tie the estaz version. I've had tons more luck with them.

mirabelasunshine 10-06-2013 07:03 PM

Lots ways to do eggs. They don't have to be hard. Yarn is good, you can make little multi-egg clusters, although they do want to float. Lead wire is helpful and you'll need split shot anyway. There's also those little pom-pom ones -- just order the color & size of balls you want, poke a hole through, insert hook w/ dot of zap-a-gap, and you're done.ff

okbow68 10-06-2013 07:27 PM

I'm just trying to get the round. Must be cutting them wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

stl_geoff 10-06-2013 08:33 PM

When I used to tie them, I would tie the yarn in flat, sinch it down in the middle real tight with Kevlar thread and then tie it off. Once that's done, you gather both ends of the yarn, pull it straight up so its tight, then swiftly with the sharpest pair of scissors known to man, start the front cut at the hook shank, cut in a half circle motion from the front to the back. this generally resulted in the egg fluffing out and becoming a round ball. generally.

silver creek 10-06-2013 08:54 PM

One of my buddies has asked me to tie up some Gorman egg flies. He went through the first 30 flies and he tells me that it is a great pattern.

They are pretty east to tie so you might give them a try.

okbow68 10-06-2013 09:14 PM

Thanks I'll give that a look.