The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 PM

steez is on a distinguished road
Default What am I doing wrong?

So I wonder if any of you can help me solve a problem. When I am finishing up a fly and go to whip finish, I have trouble with the line unraveling and wanting to fall off the eye? Is this because I tie too close to the hook? Or maybe I pull the line on accident?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

Hard to know for sure without seeing it but here are a couple thoughts. Leaving more room behind the eye could help. Also be sure to maintain tension on the thread as you finish the whip finish snugly, if you let slack develop it can unravel.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I suck at a whip finish as well. So rather than fight it, I just finish off my wraps with two or three half hitches and a drop of head cement. Good enough for government work.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:26 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Don't worry that's happened to all of us.
The Main thing is to not crowd the eye of The Hook which we all do from time to time especially when I'm in a hurry.
Try Waxing The Thread & you will find it will wind and form better or you can add a little head cement if your Fly looks OK..
Brian
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Not sure if I'm picturing this correctly but is it possible the shank is slanted downward toward the eye? If so, try to put the hook in the jaws so it is level or slightly slanted upward toward the eye. Light tension is essential also.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by fishiowa; 10-07-2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 AM

finisher will become famous soon enough

I've found that this happens to me when I have too much material built up right behind the eye and not enough tension on the thread when whip finishing. When I do end up with too much material, I just slow down a bit, keep proper tension and make sure that my wraps slant more towards the body than the eye, landing the thread where I want it and keeping it from slipping off.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Don't crowd the eye with material and start the whip finish back from the hook eye so you can make 4 to 5 wraps.

Then make your whip finish wraps so that the wraps go TOWARD from the hook eye. If you make them AWAY from the eye, the wraps will not be as smooth.

Whip Finish direction (Amanda--) - The Fly Tying Bench - Fly Tying

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 10-07-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

All great suggestions so far! One tip I might add is when your head is built and you are ready to whip finish, place a drop of head cement on the thread that forms the head. Give it a second to dry THEN try your whip finish. This will keep it from unraveling while you perfect your technique

Good luck!
random user likes this.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 AM

akcrimson is on a distinguished road

If your hook IS clamped at a downward angle, if you have a downturned eye or if you're crowding the hook this can happen. Your best bet is to give yourself a little more room. I've also wrapped a few turns away from the eye before I did the whip finish and that seems to work as well.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Sent from my wicked awesome Galaxy S4
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I always tie in a half hitch while I still have tension on the bobbin...you can manuver the thread back with a nail or tool a bit still at this point if you want some more room for the eye...this also helps that line from coming undone...

sounds like maybe you are laying down a bit too much thread...that is before you whip...I only whip on larger flies ...a few half h's are enough for smaller stuff...plus they keep the profile down too...I always apply a drop of sg or similar to be the extra umph necc to make the flie last while fishing.

also there is nothing worse than having that perfect flie tied up...and find you got glue in the eye when you tied it!! my famous move...(poking a hole in that size 18 while in wading thigh deep water isnt what I look forward too...)so a close inspection after the glue is alsways a good idea too...not that it was your comment, but it does kind of relate to a possible answer...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/