The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skulls!

For you guys who work with Fish Skulls, does anyone sell them with the eyes already attached? Putting those eyes on the Skulls is the closest I've ever come to performing cataract surgery. I'd rather tie size 32s all day long then put those eyes on!
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-09-2013, 04:13 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Skulls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
For you guys who work with Fish Skulls, does anyone sell them with the eyes already attached? Putting those eyes on the Skulls is the closest I've ever come to performing cataract surgery. I'd rather tie size 32s all day long then put those eyes on!
Ok, I'll admit ignorance here. What is a fish skull (assuming we're not talking the real thing)?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:28 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

It's a brand of baitfish head like a conehead or a beadhead just bigger with eyes that aren't attached to the head which basically sucks!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:30 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It's a brand of baitfish head like a conehead or a beadhead just bigger with eyes that aren't attached to the head which basically sucks!
Model paint or nail polish in the sparkly colors?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi John,

Metal Head sells some with the eyes already on but I'm using the Fish Skull Sculpin Helmet and tying some big Sculpin patterns that are catching some dandy trout so I'm still gluing the eyes on myself......................

My friend Chris was fishing them yesterday and got a slew of trout like the one below on the flies I left for him to try a couple weeks ago.
Click the image to open in full size.

The rivers are too low for me to make it back to the place where they are catching them but I'm seriously considering a fly in. He's killing me with the pictures............

The fly on my rod below is like the ones he is using. I left 8 of them in various color combinations and the fish are loving them.

Click the image to open in full size.Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 PM

That's awesome Ard! My probem is I never had this problem with the larger Skulls attaching the eyes but I got the smallest size they make and it's tough even with tweezers ! As I'm fumbling with it all I could think of is thank goodness I'm not doing surgery on some poor soul because the way it was going they'd be blind!
I've been browsing the net to see if somebody has them in the small size ( #8 hook) with the eye attached already.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hey John,

Save me some typing and send your phone number via PM and I'll call to explain how I deal with the eye thing.

I may have you in my contacts folder because of fly swaps but if not, I will now.

Ard

Old 10-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

The fly on my rod below is like the ones he is using. I left 8 of them in various color combinations and the fish are loving them.

Click the image to open in full size.Ard
Ard: That is a killer looking streamer pattern, if you have time would you post a recipe or do an SBS?

Larry

Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Winter is coming Larry,

I can try but almost every one I tie is different. I do them in Brown - Brown & black - Brown Olive and the one posted had Brown variegated bunny fur, Crystal Flash, Burnt Orange marabou, Gray Spey Hackles and an Olive green wool head................

Lots of good combos for them Larry, some of them I use pheasant shoulders for pectoral fins on others I skip the fins. The attraction I believe is the right color combination and the swimming characteristics of the pattern.

I will do a step by step and try to pick a color series that works well. I still have a few weeks to test them

Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Boz,
I use the small sculpin helmets ALL the time. I got a solution for you. Hopefully I can explain it enough to follow...here goes:

While the eye is still on the sticky pad it comes on, take a needle (sewing needle) and poke it into the eye. Now wiggle it to free it from the sticky pad. This will allow you to "hold" the eye side with the needle while the sticky side is free. Place a small drop zap-a-gap in the eye indention on the skull and, using the needle, place the adhesive side down on the zap-a-gap. Use your bodkin to hold the eye down while you remove the needle.

No falling eyes & no glue residue on the eye

Here is what my finished product looks like doing it that way:
Click the image to open in full size.

Hope this helps! PM me if you have any questions

Carlton
theboz and king joe like this.