Cheap Renzetti Travelers

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I believe that's a fairly normal price for the 2000 model he is selling. I think the picture shows the anodized aluminum model which sell for about $200. If you are in a drier climate the cheaper model is probably just fine. I've read a few corrosion complaints in humid environments for the non-coated. No personal experience. I bought the 2200/2300 to be safe.

fq13

Reaction score
You're right, I was just thinking a $200 vise for $164. But I wasn't aware of the material difference. Thanks.

cowpokey

Reaction score
I believe that's a fairly normal price for the 2000 model he is selling. I think the picture shows the anodized aluminum model which sell for about $200. If you are in a drier climate the cheaper model is probably just fine. I've read a few corrosion complaints in humid environments for the non-coated. No personal experience. I bought the 2200/2300 to be safe.
I've had an original uncoated Cam Traveler for a dozen years, no problem. I lived in the humidity of the east coast (DC/B-More) for many of those years, and the humidity of Korea the rest. The only corrosion is some small spots on the jaws, which are the same uncoated steel regardless of model.

I did upgrade to a longer stem, mine had a short 6"...I got a longer 9" replacement so it would have enough room for a scrap catching trash basket to attach to the stem.

flytire

Reaction score
i too live in a humid environment (spring, summer, fall in Connecticut) and tie/tied on an original renzetti traveller from the late 80's (i now have the all black 2300 model) and had absolutely no problems whatsoever other than collecting a little dust on it when not in use. the oils on your hand and fingers may even provide a little protection.

with that said, i wouldnt go leaving an uncoated aluminum device of any kind out in a salt air environment for any length of time. it will corrode in the salt atmosphere. all

oh and stainless steel will also corrode.

that ebay price is the same as the renzetti web site price. free shipping from the ebay site is a nice savings

ia_trouter

Reaction score
My new vise is going to get a drop or two of oil wipe down a few times a year, because I like my tools to stay nice. Hope nobody thought I was trying to bash their original series vise. Uncoated aluminum will may get some patina eventually, and that should hurt nothing as long as the jaws are not allowed to rust.

As stated by flytire, as long as you aren't playing in the salt I don't think you could have an issue with any of these vises with ordinary care.

audax

Reaction score
Aluminum corrosion is just oxidation. It occurs on all untreated aluminum surfaces. Humidity has nothing to do with it. When aluminum oxidizes, the finish may become dull or dingy as aluminum oxide forms on the surface. This layer of aluminum oxide is harder than the underlying aluminum and protects it from further corrosion. In simple terms, anodizing aluminum is a process of controlled oxidation.

If you don't like the look or feel of "corroded" aluminum, there are numerous polishes available, some of which leave a protective residue to deter immediate oxidation.

Galvanic corrosion of aluminum is a different process and may occur where natural aluminum contacts different metal. On the Traveler, this could be where the jaws mount to the aluminum arm. A smear of grease or anti-seize between the two surface would be a simple preventative.

miamimikepa

Reaction score
3 of my friends who tie have it and it was their suggestion to me as to what to buy. Pretty much brand new to tying. I tried it out 13 years or so ago in college, but never endedup getting into fly fishing so the tying kind of died out. Just had a cheap Cabelas vise that came in a kit. Figured id do it right this time.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
A starter kit and vise has one purpose IMO, to figure out if tying is for you. I'd hate to recommend somebody drop $500 on quality tying stuff, then have them immediately figure out they don't enjoy it. I've got the natural artistic ability of a kindergartener. I probably tied for 8 hours before I came up with something that I thought wouldn't offend a trout. :)

silver creek

Reaction score
From The Renzetti Company Page:

Renzetti 2000 series Pedestal Model retail price is $164.95

Renzetti 2200 Series C-Clamp Modleretail price is $199.95

Renzetti 2300 Series Pedestal Model retail price is $199.95