The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 06:31 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cheap Renzetti Travelers

I was surfing Ebay and I found a guy selling pedestal base Renzetti travelers NIB for $164. That's a real nice price for a very sweet vise. Caveat emptor of course since I don't know this guy from Adam's house cat, but he has 100% positive feed back.
Here's the URL if you're interested.

Renzetti Traveler Series 2000 Pedestal Base Fly Tying Vise New | eBay
Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cheap Renzetti Travelers

I believe that's a fairly normal price for the 2000 model he is selling. I think the picture shows the anodized aluminum model which sell for about $200. If you are in a drier climate the cheaper model is probably just fine. I've read a few corrosion complaints in humid environments for the non-coated. No personal experience. I bought the 2200/2300 to be safe.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:33 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

You're right, I was just thinking a $200 vise for $164. But I wasn't aware of the material difference. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:34 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I believe that's a fairly normal price for the 2000 model he is selling. I think the picture shows the anodized aluminum model which sell for about $200. If you are in a drier climate the cheaper model is probably just fine. I've read a few corrosion complaints in humid environments for the non-coated. No personal experience. I bought the 2200/2300 to be safe.
I've had an original uncoated Cam Traveler for a dozen years, no problem. I lived in the humidity of the east coast (DC/B-More) for many of those years, and the humidity of Korea the rest. The only corrosion is some small spots on the jaws, which are the same uncoated steel regardless of model.

I did upgrade to a longer stem, mine had a short 6"...I got a longer 9" replacement so it would have enough room for a scrap catching trash basket to attach to the stem.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:04 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i too live in a humid environment (spring, summer, fall in Connecticut) and tie/tied on an original renzetti traveller from the late 80's (i now have the all black 2300 model) and had absolutely no problems whatsoever other than collecting a little dust on it when not in use. the oils on your hand and fingers may even provide a little protection.

with that said, i wouldnt go leaving an uncoated aluminum device of any kind out in a salt air environment for any length of time. it will corrode in the salt atmosphere. all

oh and stainless steel will also corrode.

that ebay price is the same as the renzetti web site price. free shipping from the ebay site is a nice savings

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2013, 07:38 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

My new vise is going to get a drop or two of oil wipe down a few times a year, because I like my tools to stay nice. Hope nobody thought I was trying to bash their original series vise. Uncoated aluminum will may get some patina eventually, and that should hurt nothing as long as the jaws are not allowed to rust.

As stated by flytire, as long as you aren't playing in the salt I don't think you could have an issue with any of these vises with ordinary care.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Aluminum corrosion is just oxidation. It occurs on all untreated aluminum surfaces. Humidity has nothing to do with it. When aluminum oxidizes, the finish may become dull or dingy as aluminum oxide forms on the surface. This layer of aluminum oxide is harder than the underlying aluminum and protects it from further corrosion. In simple terms, anodizing aluminum is a process of controlled oxidation.

If you don't like the look or feel of "corroded" aluminum, there are numerous polishes available, some of which leave a protective residue to deter immediate oxidation.

Galvanic corrosion of aluminum is a different process and may occur where natural aluminum contacts different metal. On the Traveler, this could be where the jaws mount to the aluminum arm. A smear of grease or anti-seize between the two surface would be a simple preventative.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:14 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Just picked one up for $159.99 from an online shop. Seems like a great vice for a good price.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
Just picked one up for $159.99 from an online shop. Seems like a great vice for a good price.
You will like it a lot. I've had mine about a week, and it eliminated every annoyance of my cheap starter vise.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

3 of my friends who tie have it and it was their suggestion to me as to what to buy. Pretty much brand new to tying. I tried it out 13 years or so ago in college, but never endedup getting into fly fishing so the tying kind of died out. Just had a cheap Cabelas vise that came in a kit. Figured id do it right this time.
mcnerney likes this.