The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Diver body suggestions ???

One of the things on my list to tie are some smaller divers on #6 or #8 3X long streamer hooks to be fished on a sink tip line. Will be targeting browns in some long runs against some under cut banks with a solid seam on the other side of the main channel.

Basic Dalhberg Diver head (tied sparse) / Zonker strip 'spine' and tail, (tied a bit short and propped up with calftail and maybe a mono loop.

What to use as a body is causing me some problems:

(X) Cross-cut rabbit is just too thick.

(X) Chenille/Saddle/Rib is a bit too dense as well

(X) Dubbed & teased out wool still has the thickness issue and isn't active enough

(X) Dubbed & teased out rabbit has the same issues.

(-) Gartside soft hackle streamer body ??? Not so sure I will be able to find what I need for marabou.

(?) Mylar tinsel with a palmered saddle and rib

(?) Seducer style body with short fibered saddle(s)

Who has ideas or suggestions?

Looking for a minimal amount of material with a good amount of 'life' in it.

Thanks much.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Diver body suggestions ???

Whats wrong with good ole marabou?????

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Marabou.... the Gartside soft hackle streamer thing.... Have always had problems finding the right kind of marabou for them and assuming I am going to have just as much trouble finding in in the right shade of olive too.

I've tried marabou collars (almost spey like) behind the heads of muddlers and have tried a marabou-stacked-wing on the underside of the shanks, and neither worked out so well. Have also tried long throats of marabou on the undersides of muddlers and wan't happy with them.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

A #6 or #8 3XL hook isn't a very large canvas. Diver heads work better when they're bigger than what a hook that size will accommodate.

A Kiwi Muddler would fit your basic requirements. The examples I see now have a pearl mylar tubing body, but Jack Dennis suggested a dubbed fur body with tinsel rib.

The basic Marabou Muddler looks good down to the sizes you're tying, too.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Simi Seal?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

For saltwater I use a little rainbow flash (thin, multi colored tinsel strips) as a body. I just wrap it on like dubbing or chenille. It looks like a minnow's body and works on small tarpon. For bass I use peacock herl, about three strands wrapped as one. Not sure if this helps, but Browns seem like the bass of the trout world. Step one is putting it in the right place. Step two is making it sexy with noise (the diver) and flash, the herl or flash.