The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By fq13
  • 6 Post By kglissmeyer1
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 01:34 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default How to tie in a bead?

Ok, so I have all these beads and need to crank out some buggers. What's your preferred method for securing a bead on?
Thanks.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:42 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to tie in a bead?

you dont tie in a bead

you thread the bead onto the hook by inserting the point of the hook into the smaller hole on the bead. then you just slide it around the bend up to the eye. the larger hole in the bead helps with rounding the bend of the hook.

check out the first 3 fotos

http://hipwader.com/2005/online-fly-...rse-part-three

additional bead info. check out the bead to hook size chart. 1 bead size does not fit all hooks.

http://www.intheriffle.com/the-riffl...ly-tying-bead/
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

No need for a few wraps behind it to secure it? I've never tied a bead before. I thought I'd ad some to the buggers I have planned. So I just thread the thing on and then tie as normal?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

One may also used lead or non-toxic lead sub. wraps behind a bead or cone to help secure it in place, on the hook shank, behind the hook eye. Cover with thread wraps and add a few drops of Super Glue or Zap-A-Gap...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 10-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tie mine in usually using a technique I call "Poor Man's Tungsten". After threading the bead onto the hook I use .015 non-lead wire and wrap about 2 to 4 turns onto the hook shank behind the bead depending on the bead size. 3 wraps is adequate for a size 3/32" bead. Tuck the wire under the bead and you have achieved two things - first, you have added a bit more weight to the fly; and second, you have filled in that pesky countersunk hole that seems to swallow thread wraps, especially as you are finishing the fly, apply your last wraps and all of a sudden they disappear under the bead and your flashback is left flapping in the breeze...

If you are a member of the International Federation of Fly Fishers you can find my Tips & Tactics article with photos in the official membership publication Flyfisher dealing with just this situation in the last issue.

The non-lead wire also serves to center the bead on the hook shank when you apply a few thread wraps behind it prior to tying the rest of the fly.

Kelly.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:23 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

tying a bead head wooly bugger

vimeo.com/71653016

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-15-2013, 01:30 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

The lead works well for this noob. You'll bring body material up close to the bead too. Beads not going anywhere on a wooly tie.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Another way I'll secure the bead is to use whatever ribbing material I might have on the fly. For example if I'm tying a pheasant tail I'll fold over the wire ribbing and push it up into the bead then wrap it down the shank of the hook.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:54 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

What Kelly said. And William.