The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By gzarboni

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default New Tying Materials Arrived!

About a week and a half ago 'fq13' aka Jay, posted some fox tails and other items for sale. I thought for a few seconds and then said, "I'll take fox tails". The package showed up today and what a wonderful bunch of high quality hair! One of the tails is a pure white Arctic Fox and I can think of many colors to make with this hair.

The chance to get these came at just the right time because I'm venturing into Intruder style & tube flies for winter tying and hair appeals to me for use in these patterns.

Thanks for a great deal Jay

I have been a little lazy about my photography as of late and need to step up but this will give you the idea on why Fox Tail hair will be helpful.
Click the image to open in full size.

That fly is made with dyed squirrel and schlappen feathers. There are a thousand ways to create a fly that will attract & catch fish and hair is very economical.

Here's another using squirrel and chicken.
Click the image to open in full size.

When I turn out some fox hair patterns I'll post them up

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 10-15-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice
Default Re: New Tying Materials Arrived!

Hey Ard.
Nice Flies, I can also hook you up with hair and feathers and necks. My father in law is a taxidermist. He just retired but is still doing odd jobs here and there. Coyote is also very good. I will post some pics soon when I get some of my flies tied this winter.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 10-20-2013, 06:42 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Ard.
Nice Flies Artic Fox is one of The Best Tying Material & very hard to get I can imagine The Flies you will tie with it.
A mate of mine always buys it for a friend of his who is a Guide in New Zealand.
Brian
Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: I can imagine that Arctic Fox would really make those intruder style flies look very nice with a fuller body. Looking forward to see what you do with them.

Larry