The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 PM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough
Default Good Start?

Hey guys,

Brand new to fly fishing and even newer to fly tying! Decided to take the plunge into tying after a Pulaski NY Salmon trip 2 weeks ago. Had a little instruction on the trip as we were there for 6 days doing nothing but fishing, eating, drinking, & tying. Three guys on the trip were tying and all 3 had the Renzetti Traveler. It is not in the picture below, but it is ordered and will be arriving on Thursday. I've decided instead of buying a whole bunch of random material I would pick 1 single fly and start there. I picked the Woolly Bugger as I know it is used quite often and def not the most difficult pattern to tie. I watched as many videos I could on different ways to tie this fly. Made a list of a bunch of stuff to tie this fly in a few variations and hit the shops with my "grocery list." The plan is to slowly add patterns and materials as I get better. Here is what I picked up to start...

Click the image to open in full size.

Materials:
Whiting Bugger Pack - Olive/Grizzly & Black
Marabou - Olive & Black
Chenille (Medium) - Olive, Dark Olive, & Black
Flashabou - Grey Ghost Pearl
Head Cement & Bottle w/ Applicator
Lead Wire - .02 & .03
Hooks - Mustad #79580 Size 6 & 10, Dai Riki #700 Size 10
Gold Beads - 5/32" & 3/16"
Ultra Wire (Small) - Olive & Black
Thread - Olive (3/0 & 6/0), Olive Dun (6/0), & Black (3/0 & 6/0)

Tools:
Renzetti Traveler Vise
All Purpose Scissors
Ceramic Bobbin
Whip Finish Tool
Hackle Pliers

Would love to hear comments on how I did! Also, if there is anything I missed please let me know. Just keep in mind as far as tools and materials go I'm only interested in making Woolly Buggers presently. Figured picking 1 pattern at a time is a good way to buy exactly what I need, learn that fly, and then begin to expand.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Start?

It's a start in the right direction. Enjoy your new hobby.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Your lineup sounds pretty much like mine, I've been using the same pair of Dr. Slick scissors for over 20 years and they are wonderful. The Renzetti Vise, I picked one up at a going out of business sale in 1994 and it has also been flawless. The ceramic bobbins were a great advance and you've got one............. You'll enjoy many hours crafting your flies.

Ard
mridenour likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2013, 01:11 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

That's the same way I started, one pattern at a time. Great way to build your collection of materials without getting overwhelmed. Focus on learning the pattern, then move to another one. By the time you've learned a few patterns you'll find you can tie several other flies using the materials you already have on hand. Enjoy!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:45 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

You will buy more, I know.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you have this all planned out pretty well and starting with a wooly bugger is a great way to learn tying. Even though you had a little basic tying instruction I'd recommend you look around your area and see if any fly shop is offering lessons or maybe a local fly fishing club or TU Chapter. Also pick up a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying" it is one of the best I have read on fly tying. YouTube videos are great to see how a fly is tied, but they don't tell you why they are doing something a certain way.
Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Books Amazon.com: Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish eBook: Charlie Craven: Books

Also as you begin tying, try to play particular attention to the proportions of the fly, typically that is where beginners tend to mess up, the flies proportion is not correct, either the tail is too short, too long, the hackle is the wrong size or not spaced correctly, the head is crowded up on the hook eye, etc. Try to concentrate on making every thread wrap count.
Best of luck and post some photos and we will try and help you with your progress.

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I think that is a great start. Your tools are much better quality than mine. I keep saying I am going to get new ones and a new vise but I still tie on an old Universal Rotary from the dark ages. I think I got it about 40 years ago...lol! It is total junk compared to the vises most people on here use. But I like the memories of being a kid tying streamers from a recipe in a library book at the kitchen table. I suppose I will get a new vise someday...maybe.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Looks like a well researched, thought-out and executed plan. Is really good to see people take a pragmatic approach to fly tying. Life is going to be much easier for you if you can maintain it.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:23 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

We have the identical tool set except you have a better bobbin. Good move, as I find myself confined to the heavier threads for now. Wooly is a great first tie.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to The Addiction also it's good to see you have started with all The Top Shelf Tying Tools as most of us just bought pieces here & there & kept upgrading.
50 years down The track & after Spending Hundreds if not Thousands of $s on Flytying gear you will wonder if it had of been Cheaper to buy your Flies.
The Answer will be still be NO WAY.
With The Materials you have you will be able to Tie many Patterns.
Also to add to what Larry has said,I don't want to sound like a Broken Record as I've a few times before recommended You-Tube & watching Tyers especially Davie McPhail as That Guy's #1.
If you have any problems just post a question as there's heaps here who can help you sort things out.
Happy Tying.

Brian