The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 AM

deadl1fta is on a distinguished road
Default new fly tyer, a few problems.

Hey guys i have a few issues with my fly tying. First of all when i tie small drys 14-16 the hooks always bend with the force of me wrapping thread. It sucks cause when i goto whip finish the fly it ends up bending towards me and unravelling. (Mustad hooks) . Secondly wheres a good place to get rooster capr for hackle? My local shop has one for 50$+.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new fly tyer, a few problems.

Sounds like you need to let up your pressure on the thread a bit. Dry fly hooks have thinner wire than nymph or streamer hooks and will bend more easily. It is something you will have to think about now, but as you tie more and more thread tension will become pretty second nature - enough to secure the materials without breaking the thread or bending the hook. When you tie dries what size thread are you using?

For capes that can be about right. Personally I get most of mine from the Feather Emporium. They are a good price and he has a great range of colors. I buy some locally too but they don't always have the colors etc I'm looking for. If you have the money it can be worth it long term to just buy the capes. Initially it can be expensive - if I was just starting I'd get a grizzly, brown, and blue dun for my trout flies, at 45 or 50 bucks a pop that adds up. Look for starter packs - they are a set of 1/2 capes that can get you started. They don't have many feathers in the small sizes but those are hard to tie at first anyways. If you look in the bargain bin on the feather emporium he has a 1/2 cape set with grizzly, grown, dun, cream and black for $75, not a bad way to get started.

If you're really strapped for cash look for 100 packs. You have to pick a feather size you want, but if you know you're going to tie a lot of size 14 parachute adams, caddis, humpies, etc etc then you can get a brown and a grizzly in that size and be good to go. They usually run around $20, so in the long run they really don't save money.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree with William on why you are bending the hooks. On hackles, the very best thing would be to have someone who really knows good stuff show you what makes a good - a poor - or a great cape. Once knowing what exactly you're looking at, the best thing is to be able to eyes on examine the cape before buying.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 AM

deadl1fta is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help william. Ill just bite the bullet i guess. Ill get the pack with half grizz and half brown. For 50$. I need small hackle for small dries 12-16 size. Im using UTC ultra 140 thread for all my flies. I dont know if thats too small or thick? Not sure on thread sizes yet.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I'll go against the grain and say buy cheap stuff. Me, I've been out of tying for twenty years. The reason is I got frustrated trying to tie small trout flies. But, I realized I was paying good money (like four bucks a pop) to buy saltwater streamers I could easily tie. So I aim for blue gills and its back to the frustration of #12-10 hooks and smaller. I am pants at this so I want cheap stuff to play with before I invest in pricy materials (which are doubtless worth it, once I master them). But now? Everything I tie below a size 6 sucks. This doesn't bother me, I just tie another and I'll get there. But try this guy. He'll sell you cheap hackle, rooster and hen. Use it to get the patterns down and then buy the good stuff when you're ready. But that's just me.

He has more than he puts up, PM and ask. This guy is reliable.
fishingsupplyco on eBay
Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadl1fta View Post
Thanks for the help william. Ill just bite the bullet i guess. Ill get the pack with half grizz and half brown. For 50$. I need small hackle for small dries 12-16 size. Im using UTC ultra 140 thread for all my flies. I dont know if thats too small or thick? Not sure on thread sizes yet.
For size 12-16 flies I'd drop down to 70 denier thread. It will be easier to keep the flies trim.
mcnerney and gatortransplant like this.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I've never had troubles bending Hooks with any of The Thread as I've only ever used The Fine Threads.
Really I am quite the opposite in my early days I always seemed to be breaking The Thread while tying Flies as anyone who has used Pearsall's Gossamer & who has worked at a trade with roughened up Cracked Fingers will know what I'm on about.
Compared to The Modern Threads Pearsall was terrible stuff to use however that's all we could buy besides Sewing Cottons Silks & Nylons so we had to put up with it..
Brian
gatortransplant likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

According to Charlie Craven or A. K. Best, the hook should bend a little every time you wrap.

BTW, Best says he uses 6.0 thread on flies down to size 20.

Randy
Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

for genetic hackles thats what you can expect to pay. The Whiting Introductory Pack (saddles or capes) is a good deal. I'd go with saddles, just for the thinner stems of the feathers.

In the days before the genetic rooster hackle, Indian Rooster capes were the decent dry fly hackle. These can be picked up for about $6-8 each if you know where to find them

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
For size 12-16 flies I'd drop down to 70 denier thread. It will be easier to keep the flies trim.
^^^What he said.

There are a number of ~70d thread products on the market. UTC 70, Danville 6/0 (flymaster), and Uni-Thread 8/0 are commonly found, while others (Griffiths 14/0, Benecchi 12/0, etc) aren't as readily located. While they may be sized similarly and have similar strength, there are subtle and not-so-subtle differences in how each tie.

Re: Bending hooks while tying. Also be sure you're mounting the hook in the vise correctly; that is, with the bend of the hook grasped in the vise jaws. Mounting the hook too low on the bend (e.g., hiding the point in the jaws), exaggerates hook flex in the vise.