The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kglissmeyer1
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 AM

geoff3114 is on a distinguished road
Default Which hackle to buy?

Just after some advice on what hackles to buy. Looking to tie large drys mainly 8-14. Stimulators and parachutes. Do I go for a saddle or a cape? I have a hofman saddle but it only has 16's left. I have an older herbert minor cape but i am disappointed with the barb density. Do any brands of saddles have larger sizes or to tie larger drys do I need to go for a cape? Are whiting capes better than herbert-minor? The other option is whiting 100 packs. I am based in Australia with limited supply so have to purchase over the Internet. Lots of questions so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Geoff
Old 10-16-2013, 12:15 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which hackle to buy?

You may want to take a look to see if you can find some off brand capes. Premium capes are usually considered premium because they have smaller (hook) sized hackles.

If you can find some non-genetic necks with usable hackle quality, they will typically have most if not all larger sizes. Something along the lines of this -

Saddles - Indian Rooster Saddle at BEARSDEN.COM

OF course the quality of the hackle won't be as good as what you are used to when using genetic feathers, but these lower quality necks/saddles are mostly all that was available in the good old days. Folks manged to catch fish using them.

have fun,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Whiting 100's packs are my advice.

Kelly.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Geoff,

My advice may seem complicated but................ There are many fine people who are regulars on this forum. It sounds to me as if you need someone who will slect capes for you (hands on) and then place them in the mail to you there. I live in Alaska and although there are capes for sale here we do not have the wide selection that I was accustomed to when living in Pennsylvania.

If not a member from the forum then a contact within a fly shop who knows hackle and will select what you want and send them to you. Complicated, yes, but I don't see a lot of options other than trusting your luck to the pre packaged necks sold by major distributers.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard
jpbfly and lake flyer like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-16-2013, 05:00 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

Don't give up on that Hebert Miner cape. It may not have the barb density for a really full looking stimulator with one feather and in tying parachutes I have used up to three hackles to get a high barb density to float heavy bodied parachutes. There is no rule that limits you to using only one feather to hackle a fly. I have a couple of the H-M capes and I agree they don't have the barb count of a good whiting cape, but they do have some really large feathers for big dries and the barbs are still fairly stiff and straight.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Forgot to add that whiting capes and 100's are a good value especially if you tie a lot of flies. Even with that, like others have said, I have never bought a cape that I couldn't hold in my hand and get a good look at the hackle.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:17 PM

geoff3114 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback guys

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

Thanks for the advice guys