The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM

lycokayaker is on a distinguished road
Default Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer as a first Vise?

Hey Gang

My first post here but have been lurking for a bit. I am a newer fly tier who is lucky enough to have an a guy with 30 plus years of fly tying experience and his own patterns teaching me to tie flies and showing me his variations. I am hooked no pun intended and really enjoy tying flies and find it relaxing I have a 2-3 block each day I get to tie flies(stay at home father -kids are napping .)I am currently using a 20 year old non rortary vise that is not always holding the flies tight now. I would like to buy 1 vise and never look back. What I mean is I am trying to avoid a middle of the road vise knowing down the road I will want a more advance vise. Most of my current flies are from size 8-16. Would you guys consider this strategy a mistake? Any thought on the Dyna King Ultimate Indexer?

Bill
Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer as a first Vise?

Bill: I like your thought process on purchasing a nice vise that will last a long time. Dyna-King makes a very nice product, I have no experience tying with them so I can't offer help in that area, but I'm sure others here have used that model and will chime in. I do know that Charlie Craven had used a Dyna-King Pro model vise for the past 20 years, at one time he was a professional fly tier.

Oh, almost forgot, "Welcome to the Forum"! You might keep an eye out for the fly swaps and if you see one your confident in doing jump in.

Larry

Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have no thoughts on that specific vise but I see absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to buy a good one right off the bat.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:54 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I have 2 Dyna king vises a president that I bought back in the early 80 and a Barracuda that I got in 2005 to me they are the best . I have tyed from 24 to 4/0 with no problems. If I were going to buy another it would be the index. I use the standard jaws for all my tying will hold all size hooks equal, and you don't need a rubber band to hold the jaws.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum, it looks like some of the fellows like the brand you're thinking on and since I don't use one myself I'll leave it to those who do to recommend them. Your user name, does that have anything to do with Lycoming Creek?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Hey

Lyco is referring to the college I went to Lycoming College in Williamsport pa. There is a Lycoming creek there.

Bill

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

I took the leap and ordered the vise.... My wallet is abit lighter today. I will post some feedback when it comes in. I found J stockard was offering 50 off any accessories/material when ordering the vise
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:24 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

The vise you mention will be all you would ever need. I wanted this vise badly in the past. But, I am going to stay with the one I have, because it does a good job, and it was a whole lot less in price. I have the HMH Spartan. I think you will be very happy with your choice. I wish I had one too!
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Delayed response on the vise.... Vise is sweet! It took me a bit of getting use to all of the knobs on it as it was initially confusing as to which knob did what. I haven't had a problem with the vise not holding any of the hooks I have thrown at it admittedly I have not tried to tie any crazy small midges or anything. Love it so far!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I think you're going to love that vise. I have the D-K Barracuda, and wouldn't part with it. Smallest I've gone with it is size 17; didn't need the midge jaws even for that.
Gary
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:01 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

* with envy*...but now you have no excuses for flies that are less than perfect.

carry on.