The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By fly_guy12955
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By audax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Tied up a few Adams...any tips for improvment ?

I think my hackle was a size too large on this one.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tied up a few Adams...any tips for improvment ?

Hi Mike,

That looks good for use in the riffles but you may want to slim down for calmer water flows. I tied the Adams with a stripped blue dunn quill to slim them down. To do this yo just strip the fibers from a medium blue dunn hackle and tie it in tip first back at the tail area. Choose the right point in the quill so that by the time you wrap forward it gives a nice taper. By using sparse hackle and the quill body you'll have a fly that will float better / longer. They answer many dry fly needs tied this way.

Actually I did the quill thing with lots of flies. To make Sulfur May fly you use a natural cream or light cree quill. Another really good feather to work with is the ginger grizzly or cree. These have a variegated coloration to the quill and make neat bodies. Neat that is if your into the quill body thing. If you decide to give these a try (old school) after you strip the fibers, soak the quills a bit in warm water. This will make them nice and pliable when you tie.
itchmesir likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Tied up a few Adams...any tips for improvment ?

The fish will tell you the truth.
jpbfly and coloradocaddis970 like this.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

It looks like you've had some practice with this pattern. Nice job.

Body looks great regarding length and taper. Tail length appears just right, too, but you used hackle tips where hackle barbs are specified. Perhaps you didn't have feathers with suitable barbs? If so, I'd sub a hair tail for fishing purposes. You already acknowledged hackle collar issue. Hen neck is a better option for hackle tip wings. You might also splay the wings a bit more. Lacking hen neck, I'd opt for natural teal or a strongly barred mallard flank feather on a "fishing fly."
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Ard, thanks. I'm in my learning curve on tying. Catching fish with them but I always want to improve. I actually showed you guys the one I thought was most 'off' so I could get constructive comments.

I'll try the quill deal and will let you know how it turns out. I seems to me even now,,that a quill might float better than dubbing.

Thanks for the good tip. I'm always up for critique,,doesn't bother me in the least,,I actually THANK people that can help me improve.

The Cree feather might work better,,as you have less tying with one feather than two. Esp on the very small stuff. I'll have to acquire me a 100 pack and try'em out.

Mike
Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

you dont necessarily reduce the number of hackle wraps by just using cree hackle.

the hackle still needs to float the fly.

the wraps of cree hackle should be roughly the same as if you used a brown and grizzly. i try for 3-4 wraps behind the wing and 3-4 wraps in front of the wing. using good quality hackle with skinny stems will help.

you can save money buying cree hackle by dying grizzly hackles or even coloring a grizzly hackle with a marker

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM

I know that you still have to have enough hackle,,that wasn't what I was meaning. I just meant that you can tie in one feather with a Cree instead of positioning and tying in two. The idea of altering a reg grizzly with a marker sounds interesting though.

Mike