The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 PM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wild Duck Feathers..

I think that they are the feather under the wing just above the legs.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Wash all your flank feathers in warm water and DAWN dish soap, lay them out on a towel to dry, you will be good to go.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

since I have been doing this going on 40+ years i can tell you borax for our feathered friends and salt for mammels and such. borax the bird skins and place between sheets of newspaper, then add a weight on top and let sit for a week or 2. animals take longer to do, make sure you flesh (scrape all fat and meat off) then stretch skins on boards and add a coating of salt. stand on end and place some cardboard under to collect fat, blood and water that runs of. once dryed 2-4 weeks you can store in a dry container. I use moth balls or crystals in my containers to keep any other nasties out. as for the bugs on a carcass once it cools off they will die or leave looking for another host (non-human) so freezing and nuking is not nessasary. if the is a lot of blood and dirt you can wash first in a mild detergent (dawn for dishes is great) then pat dry and continue with the preserving process. for loose feather just place in container and add a little borax or mothcrystals done.
flyfishnbum likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..