The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 09:06 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Introduction to dry fly tying.

Hi.

I'm a dry fly noob and need help to get a good start. I'm going to be tying March brown and Adams flies. I'm a little bit confused about theese flies since they look pretty much the same to me. Are they?
I normally tie streamers, so this is new.
Any links to good introduction are welcome. Step by step guides would be nice.

Kim.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Introduction to dry fly tying.

Try Charlie Craven's Fly Box for step-by-step tutorials. I think he is a bit OCD based on the detail he goes into but that's Charlie Craven. Although he doesn't go into the March Brown he does a good job on the Adams.

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials
mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

The Charlie Craven book is great. Lots of youtube videos as well. You mentioned the march brown and adams looking similar.

The template for many patterns is basically the same, what varies is the materials used. That's great since if you learn to tie an adams you can now tie a march brown, green (brown and gray) drake, hex, blue wing olive, PMD, etc etc simply by changing the hook size dubbing color, hackle, tail material or whatever.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Kim,

You should find a good book or books of dry fly patterns, there is a plethora to choose from. I love going to the bookstore and perusing fly books, when one jumps out at you buy it.

The Adams is probably the single most used generic dry mayfly pattern ever. The traditional tie is with a hackle collar of brown and grizzly, grizzly hackle tip wings - upright and divided, a medium gray body, and a tail of the same hackle fibers used in the collar. It is completely generic and works nearly everywhere. In various sizes it can be fished during most hatches of dark mayflies.

You will learn that the pretty much the only difference between a March Brown pattern and an Adams is the color of the components. This is true for every basic Catskill style dry fly. Sulphers? - use yellow dubbing and ginger hackle, PMD? - cream and gray, Blue winged olive? - olive and gray ... etc.

The most commonly used variation on the standard dry fly tie is called a "parachute." For this style fly you make a wing post out of a sturdier material that stands straight up then wind the hackle around that so it parallel to the body of the fly. This allows the fly to rest right on the water yet float, rather being propped up on the hackle tips.

Craven's fly box is an awesome site. I think the step by steps by Tightline Video (on either youtube or vimeo) are some of the best anywhere.

Here is the standard Adams:

And Sulpher parachute just to clear up any confusion with what I've said.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 10-21-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Kim,

Do you know of the Master Fly-tyer Poul Jorgensen (you are Danish ?). His flies were beautiful ! A fellow countryman no ?

Goggle books has an except for the very flies you are looking to tie in Poul's book Poul Jorgensen's Book of Fly Tying: A Guide to Flies for All Game Fish. Go too chapter 5 and he starts out with the March Brown and the Adams in detailed instruction.

Poul Jorgensen's Book of Fly Tying: A Guide to Flies for All Game Fish - Poul Jorgensen - Google Books

Follow Poul's detailed advice and you will be tying some nice dry flies in no time at all.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM

Thank you very much for all the helpful replies. I need to read this over an over to get it.
Yes I'm Danish, but it seems that Paul Jorgensens book isn't that easy to get. Have to go through Amazon.

Kim.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikau27 View Post
Thank you very much for all the helpful replies. I need to read this over an over to get it.
Yes I'm Danish, but it seems that Paul Jorgensens book isn't that easy to get. Have to go through Amazon.

Kim.
Kim,

You don't need to get the book. Everything you need is free in the link I posted for the March Brown and the Adams.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Kim,

You don't need to get the book. Everything you need is free in the link I posted for the March Brown and the Adams.
Okay. Thank you

Kim.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 PM

One quick question. How can a March brown stay a March brown if it's tied parachute style? It lacks the wood duck wing?

Kim.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

dry flies are a fun thing to do ...especially when you get a trout to rise to one you tied yourself...

Charlie Craven is the original Mr SBS...there is a wealth of info on his site...plus he is also a really nice guy too...we used to sell several of his flies in the shop I worked at in Co (pine junction)...

his tutorials leave nothing to the imagination...the pics are superb...and especially helpful to a new tyer...if you are ever in the Denver area(Arvada) his shop is a must visit...

I learned many great tricks from just watching the progress pics he has available free to all...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/