The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Ekich Automatic Bobbin

Anyone using the Ekich Automatic Bobbin, pricey but seems to have lots off good reviews.

Ekich Ultimate Fly Tying Bobbin
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ekich Automatic Bobbin

I bought the standard bobbin and liked it enough to get the larger one for steelhead flies. Worth every penny to me, I love both of them. Really noticed how much I like them when I went back to one of my rite bobbins for a pattern. Really missed the auto! I also looked at the Nor but wanted something that would use the thread as is, not wrapped on a special spool. I would have needed to buy a bunch of those spare spools!
craigthor likes this.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

100 plus dollars is just too much for me. They look nice though.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have been tying flies since I was a kid and things have evolved since then. For me evolution was the Griffin spool holders with the ceramic insert. These things sell around 11.99 - 13.99 depending on where you buy. Although these things seem pretty cool, unless you can spend a fairly large amount of money on one with no remorse at all I would recommend one of the Griffin tools. Incidentally, I still have some old Sunrise spool bobbins that work without any problem but since I have several griffin's I use them. When I tie certain fly types I use several colors of thread and silks. being able to keep three or 4 different materials spooled up for use at under 50 dollars appeals to my better judgment. Remember though, this comes from a guy who will pay 750 for a reel so if you want one of these bobbins, I won't think badly of you

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies, I was also considering the NorVise Bobbin but I really don't like that I have to respool the thread. I also tie with Silk from time to time which won't work on this bobbin though I have 3 Renzetti Ruby Midge Bobbins for my silk tying. Also a nice Stonfo and a cheapy for regular thread.

I may have to check one out, it does come with a 30 day money back garuntee so if I don't like it I wouldn't be out more than shipping.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:44 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

This really falls into the same category (for me at least) as the Abel nippers. Sure they are nice, but not nice enough to justify a cost that is 500% higher than another tool that does the job just fine.

Would it be nice for the bobbin to automatically be in the right position after doing some rotary palmering and not having to use my thumb to retract some thread? Sure but it's not nice enough for me to spend $100 plus the cost of getting it to my door.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Hey now I have a set of Abel nippers and they are nicer and better built than any of the nippers I have ever used.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I'm sure I could botch flies just as well with one of those, not to mention I think I could botch up the funky bobbin quickly enough too. Griffin ceramics work for me.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

I like Ard will spend a great deal on reels and rods for that matter. I too have the Abel nippers, which match my reel. I can honestly say I will never spend $100 on a bobbin. It's funny how different everybody is and what we spend money on. If you are a diehard into the tying though I def get it!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i use my thumb to retrack thread from the bobbin holder. thumb = free

there are negative reviews that claim the bobbin holder does not work with all spools
Hardyreels likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 10-25-2013 at 12:12 PM.