The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default I may start tying, I need help

I have been contemplating starting tying this winter. Here is my problem, I cannot sit in a upright chair at a table to do the tying. If I sit it has to be in a recliner. I am looking for a way that I can sit in a recliner and do the tying. Please HELP.

thanks

flymoron
Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I may start tying, I need help

Can you stand? If so, I would just set up a bench that is at a height that is more conducive to standing. I actually have an adjustable height desk in my office and tend to stand quite a bit instead of sitting.
MoscaPescador likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Just find a laptop roller tray and set your vise on the tray. might be awkward and if you can stand would be better. Sitting upright is the easiest way to see whats going on.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta think that it would get 'messy" if you weren't upright some how, but some very famous tiers like Carrie Stevens and Lee Wulff never bothered with a vice.
Personally, I've done some rod building and repairs sitting in my easy chair but never tied flies like that.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

look around for a lap desk

https://www.google.com/search?q=lap+...w=1821&bih=857

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Hospitals have a kind of roller table that can be scooted next to the patient's bed andd it sticks out over the patient/bed. Here's an attempt at a crude drawing:

-------
|
|
|
---
o o

You could probably find an old one or get something like it made.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

It would have to be a free standing sort of desk like Flyfisher mentioned above. One of those on-the-lap things would be bad. You need a stable and stationary surface for your vise. This is particularly important for a beginner, you don't want to create any unnecessary obstacles. A shaky vise will create a lot of frustration.

Once you find or build a desk/bench that will stand over your chair you'll probably want a pedestal type vise, not a c-clap. Since you can't really move much to re-position yourself it would nice to be able to move the vise.
Hardyreels and Pocono like this.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:57 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Hospitals have a kind of roller table that can be scooted next to the patient's bed andd it sticks out over the patient/bed. Here's an attempt at a crude drawing:

-------
|
|
|
---
o o

You could probably find an old one or get something like it made.
That is the ticket. My grandad had one, it was nice looking in a wood veneer. My dad has it now and I use it as a bench when I'm at his place. I sit in a regular chair, but it would work fine in a recliner or propped up on a bed. Try Sams or Costco first, if they don't have one try medical supply places.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

PS If you want to start tying go to Cabelas. They have their delux fly tying kit perpetually on sale for about thirty bucks. Its cheaper than the regular kit. It comes in a nice wooden box with every tool you could possibly need and a decent enough to get started vise. What sets this kit apart is that the vise comes with a very solid pedestal base as well as a solid C clamp. And it all fits in a slim attractive box. Its my travel kit. I upgraded to a griffin vise, but for the money the cabelas will do the job. If you like tying you'll buy something better, but to test the waters its just fine, and the tools are good. Its the best bargain out there. I would strongly reccomend it.

Last edited by fq13; 10-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Do you fly fish and if so what method? That would give us an idea of your capability.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:00 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Hospitals have a kind of roller table that can be scooted next to the patient's bed andd it sticks out over the patient/bed.
lets think about it

how would you get the legs/wheels under the recliner to work? remember the hospital bed is elevated above the floor, the recliner is not

Click the image to open in full size.

after more searching on the internet, you could use a "recliner table" made just for the purpose. the part on the floor goes under one leg of the recliner and the table pivots out of the way. it also translates up and down

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 10-26-2013 at 06:16 AM.