The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 01:56 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Best fly tying books.

Hi.

I would like to get some good no nonsense fly tying books lots of illustration of how to tie. I'm not a complete noob at tying, but river fishing has not been my game, but I'm planning on going to fish rivers next season, so I need lots of info on dry flies, nymphs and so on. I'm planning on getting Charlie Cravens book, but other than that, is there any other books worth reading?

Kim.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:34 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best fly tying books.

If you don't know a lot of techniques, I will recommend the fly tyers benchside reference. find it on amazon

I also recommend tying books by the following authors

A.K. best

Gary lafontaine

David Hughes

Terry Hellekson

Shane stalcup

John Barr

Mike valla

Dick talleur

Schollmeyer and Lesson

Mike mercer

+ too many more to list
billyspey likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

Tom Rosenbauer = Fly-fishing & tying Jedi
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Trout Flies Proven Patterns by Gary LaFountaine

The Dry Fly New Angles by Gary LaFountaine

Barr Flies by John H, Barr

Micropatterns Tying & Fishing the Small Fly by Darrel Martin

Tying flies with Foam, Fur and Feathers by Harrison R. Steeves

Flytyers Masterclass by Oliver Edwards

Steamers and Bucktails by Joseph D. Bates

Wet Flies by David Hughes

And two books that almost no one has but every fly tyer and fly fisher should have:

Tying Flies the Paraloop Way by Ian Moutter

Tying Flies the Paraloop Way: Ian Moutter: 9780881505542: Amazon.com: Books Tying Flies the Paraloop Way: Ian Moutter: 9780881505542: Amazon.com: Books

Imitative Fly Tying by Ian Moutter

Imitative Fly Tying: Techniques and Variations: Ian Moutter: 9780881505740: Amazon.com: Books Imitative Fly Tying: Techniques and Variations: Ian Moutter: 9780881505740: Amazon.com: Books

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-26-2013, 03:05 AM

Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

Kim.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:38 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kim.
I haven't any Books yet ??? by Charlie Craven however at The last count I think had 200-250 Books on Fishing most of which cover Fly Tying.
I believe the most helpful Book for any newcomer is without a doubt The Fly tiers Benchside Reference Book.
Also as I've mentioned many times before You- Tube is also Very Good & popular.
Brian.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:15 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've been fly fishing for a long time, and I used to buy alot of fly fishing books. I've never counted them, but I have at least a couple hundred, maybe close to half of them are related to some aspect of fly tying.

So while I enjoy looking books, it's been a while since I actually went to a book for an actual reference. There is just so much good materials in videos and forums like the fine one you are reading now.

It is so handy to be able to do a search in google/bing, and quickly find exactly what I may want to tie, along with several variations, and with great videos showing detailed step by step sessions.

So by all means, if you enjoy books, indulge. But if you don't have a book handy, there is a overflowing wealth of information at your keyboard.

But to answer your question, my favorite books are by Gary LaFontaine, Dave Whitlock, Gary Borger, Richards/Swisher. These folks are all both innovative, and excellent authors.

have fun,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-26-2013, 06:42 AM

dondgt is on a distinguished road

I'm a new fly tyer myself. After tons of research and recommendations, I decided to go with Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying. It is outstanding. There is a good explanation of what you are supposed to learn in making that particular fly, then detailed pictures and explanations of how to do it, what to look out for, and finally variations you can make. He also makes specific recommendations for tools, which I found helpful.
krikau27 likes this.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Best fly tying books.

The answer to this question is a 'No Brainer.'

"The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference" by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer. 400 plus pages, all the pictures are in colour and if there's 5 ways to do 'something' each is demo'ed in great detail.

Pages of 'what are the materials and how they're used,' etc. God only knows how many hours it took just for the thousands of photo's. There may be 'other ways' but these two fellows have 98% of it covered.

Fred
krikau27 likes this.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Then I guess there's no way around that book.

Kim.