The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Can you tie the small stuff?

Oh yes you can !

Here's a Rio Grande King trude on a Mustad 94840 sz. 28. Tied on my Thompson A vise using Danville 6/0 flymaster thread. Nothing special right ? I started out just like most of you and tied some ugly flies for many years but I kept at it trying to improve with each passing year.

I did use a special tool on this fly...my tongue. I had to stick it out for a few touch-y maneuvers, otherwise it's basic fly tying. I'm not trying to impress anyone with this fly but tying the little ones will put you back in touch with the basics instead of trying to advance your tying by buying it with expensive "you need these" tools and materials. FWIW. Stick your tongue out and give some a whirl ..don't be afraid.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Can you tie the small stuff?

I have a lighted magnifier plus I wear reading glasses. I dont tie stuff that small anyhow.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I can't yet but very much want to. It's a few months away and I will need magnification tools before I try. #18 is my limit now and that is pushing it.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:27 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
. I'm not trying to impress anyone with this fly
Lies!

Very nice tie.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:32 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

I'm blind as a bat and have worn glasses for well over 60 years. I'm trying to get a point across that fly tying is not about equipment but basics. Here's a pic of my lighting..it's all I use, a lamp on the ceiling in our cubby hole of what we call "the office". I do sit next to a window though.

I took the fly outside to take a picture in the light.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

twenty-WHAT?

A decade ago I could do 22's ok and 24 wingless dries that would float corrextly, but that was it. I think I still have a couple packets of those Marinaro hooks that were tweaked open a bit.

I'm with ia_trouter... #18's are about it, (with 1.25 or 1.50 cheaters, lots of light and no coffee..... and they better be simple!) I think I just remembered why I went to floating soft hackles instead of dries!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that Joni chimes in on this thread; the only #32's that I've seen so far come off her vise.

Pocono
Old 10-25-2013, 06:57 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I have trouble putting the tippet through the eye on the stream but I get it done eventually. I am going to persevere and WILL tie some small stuff pretty soon (with Calftails assistance lol), but I will have to use some magnification. You can't tie what you can't see. I think generic patterns will help. If it's not an exact duplication of anything in particular, then why would the fly have to be 100% anatomically correct?
craigthor likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am always tying a #30 or #32 at the Fly Tying Expos. Fun stuff

This is a #28
Hardyreels, Pocono, MAD777 and 3 others like this.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used to go to size 28 for Trico's I believe I still have some in a box here, maybe have a look and post one of them.

You guys are the tiny tier's for sure.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;