The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 AM

chauncey is on a distinguished road
Default tying decorative flies for my daughter

So my wife gave me the great idea of trying to tie some files in some "girly" colors as a gift for our newborn daughter (for christmas =P). So basically flies in pinks and purples but maybe orange and dark brown (her middle name is Reese like the peanut butter cup).

So I would like to get suggestions for some cool patterns that might go good in these color patterns. For example, my current thought for the dark brown and orange is a wooly bugger and call it the Peanut Bugger.

Another idea was a nymph/midge pattern in orange and yellow (reese's peices colors).

So what's your thoughts?
mridenour and lycokayaker like this.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:11 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: tying decorative flies for my daughter

Streamers, woolies and chronamids for sure, and they should catch warmwater fish if nothing else.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:16 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Full featherwing streamers

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice

Spun deer hair if you are into that. There a guys on this board that tie flys in amazing colors. Every thing from tropical yellow and pink to Vikings team colors. Its way beyond my skill level, but they look cool.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Chauncey,

This is the best 'Girl Fly' I've got, called a 'Fairy Shrimp' I have them on 2 different hook styles so I'll post both.

Ard

Click the image to open in full size.

jaybo41, mridenour and craigthor like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Very over-sized Wullf Royal?

Pink-up the calf tail wing with a sharpie, pink floss instead of red and maybe some purple herl for the body if you can find it and hit it with a prismatic marker.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't mention what your plan is for displaying the flies, but you can buy empty clear glass ornament balls at the big box craft stores

jpbfly and mridenour like this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-28-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Heres an example of a feather wing streamer.
This a a Pink Ghost (From Hilyard and Hilyard), and while the pink hackles are 'glaryingly pink', it will give you an idea.
I plan to retie this pattern soon, I've softer pink dye on hand and some hackles to get the dye.

mridenour likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 PM

chauncey is on a distinguished road

Yeah definitely like the feather wing flies (never tied one so that will be an experience). As for a display the idea right now is to put them on a cork board that is in a nice frame.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
Yeah definitely like the feather wing flies (never tied one so that will be an experience). As for a display the idea right now is to put them on a cork board that is in a nice frame.
or how about something like this. One of our forum members makes the displays and they're reasonably priced at $10-12 shipped!

These will easily hold a long shank streamer hook like the one i pictured above. I had a size 1 8xl Gray Ghost in the exact same set up.
The Fly pictured is on a 7/0 salmon iron
pszy22 and mridenour like this.

Addicted To Vise