The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By fq13
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By ted4887
  • 1 Post By pszy22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM

fq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nicefq13 is just really nice
Default Cheap tinsel

I went into the dollar store today looking for some sharpies. I passed the halloween aisle. There, for a whole fifty cents each were silver and green, and gold and silver tinsel wigs. Its a little fatter than I'd prefer, but for a buck I now have a life time supply. I tied a quick streamer on a number six. Just dumbell eyes up front and then a tinsel wing top and bottom like a jig to see what it looked like in the water. Bam, I hooked a bass. Granted he was all of six inches long, but still. Not bad for miday on a fly that took thirty seconds to tie and probaly cost less than a nickel. I will be tying more and trying them out tonight. Maybe later in the week I'll try some in one or two O in gold and silver and see how they do in the surf.
Hardyreels, kelkay, jpbfly and 1 others like this.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap tinsel

Here's a hollow fleye tied entirely from a "Don King" style Halloween wig
The wig cost me a quarter a couple of years ago when W*mart was closing out their leftovers.

Click the image to open in full size.
kelkay and mridenour like this.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

I once bought some holographic tinsel from Wal-Mart for .97 cents and it was definitely cheap!

It would delaminate as it was being wrapped around the hook shank.

Fly shop tinsel from that time on.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

With a lot of the predator flies that I tie, I use massive amounts of flash (1/3 of a package of flashabou or more), so I am always looking to score on flash as well.

Last week I wandered the early X-mas isles at a local retailer. They had about 20 packages of silver holographic flashabou for $1.50. Without hesitation, I bought about 8 packages of it. I would have taken the whole lot of it, but felt a bit selfish doing that. Side by side, I cannot find anything different than the original Flashabou from Hedron. Chances are, it's made by them as well. So for a little over $10, I've got a few years worth of silver holographic flashabou.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
With a lot of the predator flies that I tie, I use massive amounts of flash (1/3 of a package of flashabou or more), so I am always looking to score on flash as well.

Last week I wandered the early X-mas isles at a local retailer. They had about 20 packages of silver holographic flashabou for $1.50. Without hesitation, I bought about 8 packages of it. I would have taken the whole lot of it, but felt a bit selfish doing that. Side by side, I cannot find anything different than the original Flashabou from Hedron. Chances are, it's made by them as well. So for a little over $10, I've got a few years worth of silver holographic flashabou.
Have you contacted the mad scientist (fly tyer's dungeon) about maybe a bulk order of flash material? He has some pretty cheap prices on a lot of things.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have some pearl Christmas tinsel that came in the form of a garland. It's too wide to use as flashabou, but I use it as a body material on most of my saltwater streamers. Been using it least 12 years without issues. A multi-lifetime supply
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Have you contacted the mad scientist (fly tyer's dungeon) about maybe a bulk order of flash material? He has some pretty cheap prices on a lot of things.

No. Simple reason being that I prefer Hedron's material. FTD makes some great materials, but the flashabou is a little too stiff for my liking. I try to maximize the amount of movement I get for every predator fly I tie, and the original flash moves just a little better than FTD's. The original flash also comes in colors that aren't available through FTD. I do use some of his Krystal flash though. In fact, his KF was on a fly that tricked a nice musky this weekend.

I'm not opposed to saving money when I can, but there are a few things that I do to ensure that I give myself the highest chance of catching predators. Hand picked natural materials such as bucktail, high end hooks, and I try to always have the best material available on the market for my application. If that means I have to pay a higher price, I'm okay with that.
mridenour likes this.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post

excellent, if you don't buy it and use someone else might just to throw it away a day later when it was no longer needed, so I say all good
that reminds me, I'll be in the city tomorrow so it might be good idea to look around for some flash!

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

If you need some fine fiber flash, this stuff works great -
Click the image to open in full size.

It's a fabric available anywhere that sells sewing stuff, you can buy a 1/4 yd for a buck and have more than a life time supply (for you and a couple friends). Cut it into 2" squares or so, just peel off the fibers you need. It's very convenient and neat to use. Comes in alot of different colors. It's roughly the diameter of a thread. It's tough stuff. Works particular nice to add a few fibers into a marabou tail, it provides a touch of flash.

I bought this several years ago, I'm pretty sure it was call organza, my wife would know for sure.
mridenour likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo