The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good whip finish tool

There are two common types of whip finishers, the Matarelli and the Thompson. Most tiers prefer the Matarelli.

Click the image to open in full size.

It is not right or wrong to use a tool or whip by hand. However, there is a right and wrong way to whip finish. Most fly tiers do not know that the direction of the whip finish is important. The goal is to get a tight whip finish with the thread wraps laid adjacent going toward the hook eye.

Whip Finish direction (Amanda--) - The Fly Tying Bench - Fly Tying

As to whether to whip by hand or use a tool, use the method that is fastest and most accuratefor you. Although I know how to hand whip finish, I can do that faster and easier with a tool than by hand so I use a Matarelli.

Charlie Craven uses the Matarelli to tie his two minute parachute adams AND he whips TOWARDS the hook eye.

You will see some well know fly tiers hand whip finish and others will use a tool. My friend, Gary Borger uses a Matarelli. Davie McPhail, one of the best fly tiers in the world uses a Matarelli whip finisher. He also lays a bit of head cement on the thread before the whip finish rather than afterwards.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I struggled with this when I first started tying and went mostly with half hitch. Basically this was because when I started out, I was looking at books and didn't have the internet resources available today. I used that for years, but ditched the Thomson style and went to Matarelli. I found them much easier to use. To practice, I got a long streamer hook and just did whip finish after whip finish. Like everything else in tying, preferences will vary.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I use the style mbchilton went to... Makes whip finishes a breeze
Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

I use my fingers for most flies and the matarelli type for small flies #18 and smaller. Really small flies #24 and #26 I use the half hitch tool to keep the eye clear and the fibers out of the way.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

I'm new to tying and have been whip finishing by hand, but every time I go to pull it tight the thread sticks and stutters to the point that I can't pull the loop down all the way. Doing something wrong just not sure what.