The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   A good whip finish tool (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/335696-good-whip-finish-tool.html)

mbchilton 10-29-2013 08:33 PM

A good whip finish tool

I've never been a serious tier, but I learned the basics when I was younger so much of it has stuck. One thing I could never do well was whip finish. I learned to do it by hand ok, but was awful using a tool. Then, I bought a decent whip finish tool. It made all the difference.

fly_guy12955 10-29-2013 09:01 PM

Re: A good whip finish tool

Do you use a 'standard' style or have you found a unique one that works better ?

Big flies I just half hitch a couple times with my fingers. One half hitch ,,i just pull a loop in my thread, switch my bobbin thur it,,and pull it tight. Works good,,,is fast too. But I like a tool when I'm dealing with dry fly size stuff. I can whip and finish with my right hand,while holding my thread and bobbin,,and my hackle back out of the way,,with my left.

If you are onto a new tool,,let us know.

Mike

williamhj 10-29-2013 09:18 PM

+1, I got a Griffin rotating whip finisher and it is a breeze. Be interested to know which one you got. I use half hitches sometimes, especially when I want to tie off between steps, but I do like a nice whip finish on some flies, especially if I'm not going to use resin or cement on the head.

mudbug 10-29-2013 09:43 PM

This style can be found anywhere cheap and the video will tell you how easy it is to use.

mbchilton 10-29-2013 09:48 PM

I went from this: Whip Finish

to this: Whip Finish

pszy22 10-30-2013 04:36 AM

Just as a suggestion, do a google search on Gary Borger Double Hitch. It's very simple and fast to tie. I saw Gary demo it about 15 years ago and have been using it ever since. You can pretty much tie it in the time it takes you to pick up a whip finish tool.

flytire 10-30-2013 05:01 AM

whip finish by hand. more thread control

theyre free

williamhj 10-30-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytire (Post 606078)
whip finish by hand. more thread control

theyre free

I've played around with it but haven't seen the advantage. Never found the whip finisher a burdensome purchase ($8 or so with shipping 3 years ago) and it is very handy. Do people have trouble controlling thread with a finisher? I find it easy.

randyflycaster 10-30-2013 07:39 AM

For tying small flies I bought a midge whip finisher. Made a big difference.

Randy

flytire 10-30-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 606109)
I've played around with it but haven't seen the advantage. Never found the whip finisher a burdensome purchase ($8 or so with shipping 3 years ago) and it is very handy. Do people have trouble controlling thread with a finisher? I find it easy.

different strokes for different folks.

no right or wrong in fly tying.